Thread: unmountable boot volume

unmountable boot volume

I need some help with my laptop. I am having a Toshiba laptop with me. I am getting a problem on the same. When windows start there is a error on bootup. The error is unmountable boot volume. The system then crash with blue screen. I am not able to find a solution for the same. I tried following different methods but nothing worked. While when I boot in safe mode I found a error in event viewer. It was related to apg440.dll.

Re: unmountable boot volume

Looks like some serious issue with your hard drive. Go in bios and just check whether the hard disk is detected or not. You will need to check the cable connectivity also. Just open your system case and check the cable connection also. It looks windows is not able to find the hard drive due to which it is crashing. Just verify all connectivity options and then try back.

Thanks for the reply. I thought formatting will fix the job. I am having a Windows XP disc. After booting from the disc I enter recovery mode. In that after running chkdsk /p the system restarted. The scan was fine. There was no issue with the same. So it looks the driver is still detected and working. But again boot the same error appeared. I am stuck with the problem. I am having lots of data in that for backup.

You can take the data backup by using a live cd. I will recommend you to do that first. Use a bootable Live CD and boot your system with that. Open your file partition and copy the data from it. Once you are done with the backup then move ahead with troubleshooting. Because if there is any major failure you will loose everything. Are you able to see the drive in Windows setup. Boot back from the same disc and check whether the hard drive is detected or not.

I will recommend you to remove the drive first and connect that to some other pc. Backup your data and format it completely. There is link below that will help you more in fixing the problem you are facing. I am sure it will be helpful in many ways to fix the problem you are getting.

Unmountable Boot Volume