Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Safe to delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download files?

Windows XP Support

Old 24-12-2007

Safe to delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download files?

I have a Windows XP desktop with just 160GB of total Hard Drive space. Now the problem I am facing is whenever I run Windows Update, following folder takes huge space due to which I face low disk space error sometimes: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download files. So I wanted to know if it is safe to delete the following folders after successfully installing the updates:

Windows update patch source files located in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
AND
Uninstall files of Windows update patches, named as "$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$" (generic description), located in C:\WINDOWS

Is it safe or is there any application, program or services which may require these files and folders in future? If not, please confirm that it is safe to delete so that I can free up some space on my drive.

Many Thanks.

Old 24-12-2007

RE: Safe to delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download files?

Yes, it is safe to delete that folder contents. There are no application or services which will need it again after installing the patches. Not just the folder content, in fact if you want you can simply delete the entire Software distribution folder. There is nothing to worry because Windows will recreate it again automatically when you will visit Windows Update site next time. Just note that once you delete the same you should stop the automatic updates service Or else you will face error message stating "access denied".
Old 24-12-2007

Re: Safe to delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download files?

Are you sure about the same T.J. ? My experience says I would not delete those files because many times a software update needs to be uninstalled and then those files are required. I have been through such situations several times.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,