Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

No standby when laptop lid closes.

Windows XP Support

Old 21-12-2007

No standby when laptop lid closes.

If I am closing the laptop lid, then the computer wont turn on standby. I have went into the power options and set the system to standby and when I close the lid of the laptop, then there is no problem. When I shutdown, then sample.exe stops the machine from shutting down and I have to click end now for the system to shut down, other than that nothing will happen. If I run hijackthis then sample.exe will not appear. I have the latest antvirus updates and firewalls. I also though that zonealarm firewall might be affecting it, so I turned it off, and closed the lid on my laptop, but still got the same issue. Any other ideas anyone have?

Old 21-12-2007

RE: No standby when laptop lid closes.

Can you see the sample.exe in Task Manager and try to manually end it down? Does it reappear after a few minutes even after ending task? If yes, then it might be a spyware running the background which is causing the problems.
Old 24-12-2007

Thanks for the reply, but after reinstalling zonealarm I dont know its working again?
Old 14-03-2008

Go into the ?Power Options?. After that click the ?Change plan settings? under the plans options and then click ?Change advanced power settings?. Now you have to browse to Multimedia settings \ When sharing media and then change both of the options to ?Allow the computer to sleep?. See if that works for you or not.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: