Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

"NTLDR is Missing" message when Windows Boot up

Windows XP Support

Old 11-12-2007

"NTLDR is Missing" message when Windows Boot up

All the things were working fine until I shutdown and restarted my Windows XP computer. The last things that I was doign was exchanging emails with my friends. After that we cannot get past the "NTLDR is Missing" message. I did try to use Windows CD to repair windows, then reinstalling windows, but nothing is working for me. Can anyone please help. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2007

Re: "NTLDR is Missing" message when Windows Boot up

Can you try to check the power wire and cable to your hard drive, it might be loose. Also check the bios, is your hard drive listed in there? Have you tried to change the boot order? This error usually happens because of this things.
Old 11-12-2007

Re: "NTLDR is Missing" message when Windows Boot up

Follow the below steps:
  1. First of all you have to insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
  2. After that when prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
  3. Now once you are in the Windows XP setup menu then press the "R" key to repair Windows.
  4. After that you have to log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
  5. Now you will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
  6. You will have to copy the two files indicated below to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the example below you can try copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.
    copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    opy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
    {There is a space after 'copy' and before 'c:\'}
  7. Lastly once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
Old 11-12-2007

Check to see first if your computer has a floppy drive, just check if you havent left a disk in the drive. If you had, then remove it and then restart you computer.
Old 14-12-2007

I have ran the chkdsk /r and it found some bad sectors but when I restarted the pc then it didnt seem to solve the issue. I also dont have any floppy disk as well. So, anyways I have reformatted my hard drive and then installed Windows XP freshly and hope that the problem doesnt arrive again next time. Thanks for the help.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,