Thread: computer loops at safe mode,safe w/command prompt, etc. screen (XP Pro)

computer loops at safe mode,safe w/command prompt, etc. screen (XP Pro)

This is Windows XP system running with SP2 and all recent patches from Windows Update. Yesterday while working suddenly the system rebooted itself and since then it is not able to boot completely. It keeps on looping from the Boot Menu screen where we see options like Safe Mode, Last good known configuration, etc. Forget about Normal Mode, even though i select Safe Mode, it restarts again.Not just Safe mode but on selecting any option it keeps on looping there.

As per troubleshooting i tried to use the remote console to repair it with the 'chkdsk /r' in dos. The process seems to be completed successfully but yet the boot keeps on looping. I tried to search this on Google and Microsoft but dint found a single result with exactly my problem. hence came here.

Do anyone of you guys have came through this problem ever? How did you solved it? Please provide some help.

Re: computer loops at safe mode,safe w/command prompt, etc. screen (XP Pro)

Hello ronan. I will suggest you to instead of running a chkdsk (which was a pretty good try) better go back into recovery console and run a fixboot and a bootcfg /rebuild. If this is not working then you might want to consider a repair installation with that windows cd.

Just check the following KB Article to know more about the same:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

I have a similar propblem with Windows XP home edition, shortly after turning the computer on it gives me options to choose from safe mode to normal startup.
    All options loop back to the same menu. I then tried the Recovery option after looking this and other things up, i'v done everything listed there, none fixing the problem includeing chkdsk /r.
    I finally got around to just doing a repair installation (microsoft also recommends when safemode does not load)
    which seems to have worked, but my old legal product key apperently isent valid anymore.
    my computer has been fried a couple of times and i'v had to reinstall windows in the past, and the key has worked then.
    i would like to know what i should do. i have looked into how to fix an invalid key, nothing really that helps.
    I would call customer service ,except it costs money.

i am stumped on how i should continue. anything that dousent cost money is best but i will spend it if it's the only way

i am sorry if this post is invalid or in the wrong area.

i swear i entered the product key in 3 times , i decided to enter it in 1 more time just for kicks, and it works
    this post is no longer needed thx for the adivce listed it helped me more then microsoft did.
    Last edited by Remedic; 06-01-2008 at 12:18 PM.