Thread: Scroll lock turns on by itself

Scroll lock turns on by itself

I am using a Toshiba brand laptop with Windows XP SP3. The system is working fine but there is some problem with the keyboard. Usually i need to press Function key + Num lock to turn On/Off scroll lock. But from last few weeks though I have not even been typing and I will still see the indicator turn on by itself. This gets too annoying when it happens while working with Office Programs like Excel or Powerpoint.

Surprisingly the Scroll Lock wont start with the system. It starts turning on / off automatically after working for working for few minutes on the laptop. Can anyone please tell me a way using which i can permanently make Scroll Lock feature only turns on when I actually push the buttons? Please dont suggest me any method where we need to use BIOS because i am not so tech savvy also the BIOS is password protected.

Thank you.

Re: Scroll lock turns on by itself

Just go through the following settings and see if it fixes your problem:

• Click Start > Control Panel > Accessibility options.
    • Here click the Sound Tab and check the Use SoundSentry checkbox.
    • Click the Settings button and select Flash active window in the Warning for windowed programs drop-down menu.

Apply > OK and let me know the results.

Thank you very much for the help Walter but I usually catch it pretty quickly because I see the light on the keyboard turn on. Anyways, your suggestions dint worked for me unfortunately. Is there any another way please? I am really sick of it. One of my friend also provided me a written script to turn off the Scroll Lock, and then I scheduled it to run every three minutes. But still seems like it is not working.

I also have this problem on my dell computer.

When you turn the computer on all 3 leds (num lock, caps lock and scroll lock) go on and next should turn off. However for some reason scroll lock stays on and at boot occasionally (for computers with this issue). This is caused by bios (or the way that bios is interfacing with the motherboard and/or keyboard etc) while there may be an actual reason that bios is deciding to do this if bios was programmed differently this would not be an issue.

I have found that by telling bios to turn num lock on and having the operating system turn num lock off (unless you want to leave it on) scroll lock remains on a lot less frequently.

- I have found that scroll lock can often be turned off by pressing the button(s) to turn it off (function key + num lock on a laptop) and next toggling num lock on and off a few times scroll lock eventually turns off (after toggling num lock it may take 1-3 seconds before scroll lock turns off).

I was having this trouble with scroll lock activating itself in Excel. I still haven't found a way to make it stop but I found a decent workaround. I created a macro within my personal workbook:

Sub ScrollLock()
    Set wshshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    wshshell.SendKeys "{SCROLLLOCK}"
    End Sub

Then I set up a button that links to this macro. Anytime scroll lock comes on for no reason, I can turn it off with the click of a button.

hi, i am using satellite L640. i accidentally turn on the scroll lock. there is no scroll lock key in my laptop. how can i turn it off? thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by fhey View Post
    hi, i am using satellite L640. i accidentally turn on the scroll lock. there is no scroll lock key in my laptop. how can i turn it off? thanks so much
    On the laptops, I think there is generally a function key, which in combination with another key switches the scroll lock. Try looking for "Scroll" or something similar on the keyboard, and see if you can get it to work with the "function" or "fn" key. Or you can even try to push the scroll lock again. If you are using a mouse, push the scroll wheel a second time and scroll will disappear.

I'm having the same issue where my laptop's HDD is password protected. Therefore when cold boot or any boot fo that matter requires the HDD password first as BIOS has it liwsted first in startup.

The problem I'm having suddenly is the Num Lock icon glows on (which is good because my password has numeric values in it) However, the Num Lock icon turns off at startup and I have no way of entering the number "1". Again...CMOS, BIOS, HDD is all password protected so I need a way to turn back on Num Lock OR a way to enter the number L1L.
    Any one got any ideas?

Thanks! I appreciate any advice!!!

Anonymous1