Thread: Microsoft Office Document Imaging

Microsoft Office Document Imaging

Microsoft Office Document Imaging is running fine for years. But all of a sudden, I got some problem with it. The scan completes and I select done. OCR scanning also completes and I see the image in the Windows. But as soon as I choose file I get a window called "Microsoft Document Imaging has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Send Error Report and Don't Send buttons." Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.

Even I am facing this same problem and I have not found any other advice or patches for this program. I have tried other products, but still they are not good as Microsoft imaging. Please help us out.

My experience over the past year has resulted in these issues being solved (I hope) My suggestions as to the process to accomplish this are:

1. Solve the updated files problem as set out in the preceding post. First, go to Control Panel Add or Remove Programs, check show updates, go to the version of Microsoft Office you have installed, look at the updates and down near the bottom see if you have KB952002 installed. If not go to Hotfix for Office 2003 (KB952002): MDIVWCTL http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952002, get it from support, and install it before you do anything else. You might try Office update to see if it is offered to you there but I don't think it is. You might go to Windows explorer and look where MODI is installed (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI\11.0 on mine) and check for the presence of the updated files by looking at their creation dates and versions as set forth in the knowledge base article before hand and after.

2. After installing the update and checking add or remove programs and file dates as above to make sure it has been installed, you now need to reinstall it if it is still disappeared from printers and faxes and you get a not installed error when you try to view a fax in Microsoft Fax. There are two methods to repair this, one is to open any office program (I prefer Word) and repair Office. The other way is to go to Add or Remove Programs and do the same thing. I have used the one in Add or Remove Programs with success. Just make sure you choose the change/repair option. (You might need to add the MODI as a feature if that doesn't work but try repair first. If you reinstall you will have to set up all over again.) I restored my Start Menu and Short Cuts. The reason for repairing is so as not to screw up the installation of the update accomplished in the first step.

After the repair has been accomplished, see if MODI is a printer again, see if it appears in the drop down menu if you select print in some program and see if it opens a fax in Microsoft Fax. If it does you are almost there. If it doesn't don't worry finish the next step and check again. I would reboot here myself

3. Now you need to fix the file associations and to prevent Microsoft or Office Update from undoing everything (removing the MODI printer) every time it updates. For this Microsoft has supplied another knowledge base article with various workarounds and a vbs script to copy and run. It is found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938813/en-us and is titled "You may experience issues when you run the Microsoft Office Document Imaging program after you install Office 2003 Service Pack 3" As I said, this is the one that deals with MIDI File associations and output but more importantly it fixes the hive with the script so that updating doesn't kill the MODI. Don't bother with any of other workarounds, just copy the script into a text document using note pad as instructed, rename it with the MODIAssoc.vbs name as instructed and run it by double clicking on it. I would reboot at this point.

4. As a final check, make sure MODI is up and operating, I would go to the Tools pic on the menu bar, select Options, then select Reset (Open all TIFF files with Microsoft Office Document Imaging) Make sure your other settings are what you want.

I would reboot after my first step also. (The installation of the updated files)

Check the article on "A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows Server 2003" from the below link for some more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

I just encountered this error in Office 2007 and the easiest fix I could come up with was to clear the recently used files. All I did was opened four different .mdi files. Since you can't go to File, Open, etc. you will have to find them and double click on them using My Computer, etc. It is important you use four DIFFERENT files. These "replaced" the four recently used files on the Document Imaging File menu. After you've opened up the four files, you should be able to click on file and it won't crash. I think the problem starts when saving files with more than 55 characters, so be sure to use smaller file names.

At least this way you don't have to mess with the registry.

Thanks bookman. re error I ran a search for *.tif files and opened four diffrent ones worked a treat.

The problem reoccured when I opened up a tif file that was in a word doccument. for some reason that file cannot be accessed / listed in the last 4 files opened on mspview.exe.

After opening up the embedded tif file I had to re open 4 different .tif files to reuse the Microsoft Office Document Imaging.