Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

USB Power Surge

Windows XP Support

Old 27-09-2007

USB Power Surge

When I connected my flash drive in my pc then I got some error that says "power surge on usb port" or something similar. This message came and went very quickly that I was not able to read it? What would you think it was showing up? Does anyone have any suggestions on this issue? Thanks.

Old 27-09-2007

Re: USB Power Surge

The power surge message that you saw on your Usb port is caused by faulty hardware, either inside your computer or your flash drive. You will need to check if the pins in the Usb port and on the connector of your flash drive are not wet or dirty or bent, etc. Did you try to connect different device in same port? Did you also try the same device on different port?
Old 27-09-2007

Usually the Usb spec requires the over current protection to be self resetting without intervention. Incase the power surge error keeps coming then it is normally caused by failure of the actual data part of the port and not the power supply.
Old 28-09-2007

There should be some messages and additional details that should also be stored in system logs. It is where Windows records all issues, then works around those issues, so that you can address those issues when more convenient. Actually, usb ports have a maximum current requirement. A new device can exceed that current for a limited time. Usb port should have a filder so that excess current doesnt create the alarm condition.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: