Thread: usb mass storage inactive

usb mass storage inactive

USB is not recognized in my pc. I am unable to find the reason behind this. I am trying to copy some photos from my camera to the pc using a card reader. It comes with a usb port. When I connect that nothing happens. There is a light on the card reader. I had used the same card reader on a laptop where it works really well. The OS was same Windows XP. But in my system when I am trying to do the same I am getting problem. It is not at all working. Can anyone help me here.

Looks like usb is inactive or your system is not having proper driver. Atleast there must be indication like new hardware found on your screen. And then it will allow you to install the drive. Click on Start > Run and then type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. In that look for usb and uninstall. Then restart your pc. Windows will automatically update your system with appropriate drivers.

Go in device manager. When you connect the card reader you would be able to see a unknown device. If it is not detected then the usb hub that you are trying to connect is not proper. It is damaged. You have to change the port. You can simply plug the card reader on the backside of system where additional usb ports are provided. Try that and see whether the card reader is detected or not.

Run windows update. Or simply you can download a usb drive pack from web. The drive pack helps you to configure usb devices. It has happened to me before when my system was not detecting my usb. I did both. First I performed windows update. Later on I downloaded a usb driver pack from web and after that everything started working properly. There can be problem with port also due to which you are unable to find the attached device.

Connect the card reader first. Then go in device manager and click on find hardware. It will scan the system for newly connected hardware and then you can follow the manual way of installing the same. Ample of hardware comes with drivers, but as usb is a plug and play device it must be detected. You can also go in msconfig and click on services. In that ensure that UPnP is running.