Thread: C++ Redistributable Help, vcredist.msi does not exist

C++ Redistributable Help, vcredist.msi does not exist

For some reason, with the Bioshock demo, C&C3 Mod SDK it requires that I have the latest C++ Redistributable from MS. Only problem is it will never install and gives me the same message:
    "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Clock OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'vcredist.msi' in the box below."

Then it allows me to browse finding this vcredist.msi but it is nowhere to be found. When I cancel the install it gives me an error saying, "Error 1714. The older version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." So I came here. I have no idea what to do.

Also, I finally extracted the .msi and .cab files. I placed them on my desktop for safe keeping. When I execute the C++_86.exe it gives the same message and asks for the .msi. It is on my desktop, so I point the browser to it and I get, "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Desktop\vcredist.msi is not a valid installation package for the product MS C++ Redist. Try to find the installation package 'vcredist.msi' in a folder from which you can install MS C++ Redist."
    So, I copy and paste the .msi and .cab and put them in the default folder where the vcredist.exe is located. I run the installer again only this time the browser does not show the folder "Local Settings." So I am unable to reach the .msi from the installation browser.

The user fixes this problem at the very end. Downloads Microsoft Cleanup utility and all is well.

When I try this an error occurs: "Windows Script Host" Error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Scripting.FileSystemObject' Microsoft VBSCript runtime error.

I have tried almost everything possible. Every time I try something new the same errors keep occuring, both the VBScript and the C++ problem.

If anyone has a fix for this I would greatly appreciate it.

and yes I have googled everything, followed instructions from MS Support Center etc etc...nothing has worked.

Re: C++ Redistributable Help, vcredist.msi does not exist

Hello Riptiduh. The problem is not so big hence relax. In order to fix the same, simply open Registry Editor, locate the following:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\F942F94A19C0F79468FD2B85E5E8677B

and rename it to the following:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\- F942F94A19C0F79468FD2B85E5E8677B

Thats it. Exit registry and now run the installer. See if you still get the same problem.

An easy way that worked for me was to copy the containing folder of vcredist.msi to the desktop and install it from there before any other software you want

It might be not apparent to you, but old threads are still useful for people that use google with similar problems.

You thought anyone from that over /*2-year old*/ thread was still waiting for a reply? Uh huh. Next time check the datestamps.

thanks iphon.in, that's exactly the meaning of forum, question being asked here is not personal, it's for everyone thus time doesn't matter.

i'm currently having the same problem with Riptiduh while trying to install PC suit for Sony Ericssion, thanks him for the question, and thanks everybody for replying

Yeah, like they said, I found this by googling the error. Thanks for the help guys.

I had this problem while trying to install AVG to recover my computer from a virus. So I tried to install it manually, but had this error, when you have this problem, make sure your not trying to install a service pack for something you don't have like I was.

Quote Originally Posted by MANIK View Post
    Hello Riptiduh. The problem is not so big hence relax. In order to fix the same, simply open Registry Editor, locate the following:

Thats it. Exit registry and now run the installer. See if you still get the same problem.
    Thank you so very much I spent 4 hrs searching and got to your post tried it and it worked I was able to download Visual C ++ 2005 Redistributable again and now my sound forge from Sony can be installed. Thank you again you really helped me out!

Quote Originally Posted by MANIK View Post

Hi Manik,I don't know you,or from which country you are,but you ar e genius an you deserve a statue!!!! I followed the procedure you gave for the register,and I must say that one minus (-) !! gave me the solution of hours and hours searching to save this stupid problem:"visual c++ 2005 can not instal......"Now I can indeed instaal it!!
    Thanks very very much....I needed this "visual..." to install my Mio Moov M416 LM desktop program....I think I will tell them about your solution to install this stupid "visual.."program!!
    greetings from Belgium,Paul

Manik: You rule dude! THANKS... this fixed my problem... I have more than 55 computers with most of them running XP, a few with Win7 (classic theme), a few with W2K and yeah, a couple with 95/98. I've been programming for 40+ years and certain things would not run on new MS OS releases. Thus I have that many computers due to so much programming over so many years (not to mention IBM mainframes and minis). I didn't want to rewrite multiple years worth of work "just because" MicroSoft decided they were going to change things so they could force their sales up.

DJHool3: Sorry dude, while "your" solution didn't work for me, Manik's did... and your comment about keeping things around is greatly appreciated. We're stuck in a stupid world of MS producing unneeded upgrades that change out the GUI so it takes too long to learn, while they're "in bed" with vendors following suite to attempt to obsolete perfectly good applications along with MS operating systems... the older the MS OS, the more acclimated it was to do real work... all the way back to DOS. As a programmer, not of games but of critical applications, the extra stuff MS has implemented has wrecked many a program of mine with an upgrade, even with auto updates. I could write a book (seems I have here).

McIntyre: You don't get it... well, or didn't get it. Maybe you get it by now. So, if you see old posts, you should be thankful because one day they'll likely save your tail too when you decide you're tired of upgrading to something that won't let your old, paid for programs and hardware work... and is less useful in general with a whole 'nother new GUI to learn while a burning need to resolve a "real" problem bites at you. You could call me "crazy" but I could call you the 2 year old. I wouldn't own two houses in two states, fully paid off by programming if I had let myself become distracted by vendor thoughtlesness over my 40 year tenure of working on computers, which included working for some of the largest computing complexes in the world (literally). Keeping customers running with what I'd written using on-hands support on my machines with the same OS they had, regardless of not being supported by the authoring OS vendor. MS mentality reminds me of Multiple Sclerosis, it's an "aha, let's paralyze the developers... oh and the users too" (no offense intended to any that have that terrible disease), that's so, in MS's greedy mind, users have to buy another new MS OS, no matter how inferior. But alas thank God for competition and capitalism because many have bought Androids, iPhones, iPads, Kindles, Linux systems, etc, etc. and the MS Monopoly is diminishing. Survival of the fittest... and MS will feel it someday... I'm sure they already have. They've started listening a bit more to the thankful sound of carnivores eating away at their bottom line.

Thanks again Manik!