Thread: Change Defaults in MS Paint

Change Defaults in MS Paint

I want to use Paint as a very basic photo editor since it starts up with a blank canvas that I can paste an image into. Is there any kind of tweak that will allow me to set it to default "Save As" to a different location than "My Pictures" and change the default file type from bmp to jpeg? Thanks.

Re: Change Defaults in MS Paint

You can try to open a blank screen in paint and then save it as a .jpg in the location you want as your default with the name "default.jpg".After that right click and drag the paint program from the Start > Programs > Accessories location onto the desktop and select copy here. Now right click on the paint icon and then left click Properties. You must notice a line like this "%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe". Without deleting the information on the line, click behind the .exe and press the space bar one time. Type the full path and filename for the default.jpg file you saved (if there is any spaces in the path you need to enclose anything you type in quotes. The final line should look something like the below:

%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe "C:\this is the path here\default.jpg"
    Once you have that click OK.

After you double click on the new desktop icon, the file will open and the Save As default location will be where the file is located. Of course if you right click on the default.jpg file and then click properties and make it read only, you won't inadvertently change the file and a Save As will then pop up for any attempt to Save.

Re: Change Defaults in MS Paint

Thanks for the reply, once i put the quotes around the path it worked properly.

a lot of thanks to you.

karma to you.