Thread: Unable to open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel

Unable to open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel

I cannot open Add/Remove program in my system. It was working fine. I want to remove some applications. So I went in control panel and clicked on Add/Remove. It failed to open. There is nothing on the screen. I clicked that a number of time but still the issue occur. I am here trying to do clean my system. While I can open other icons from control panel lime mouse, firewall, etc. Only Add/Remove failed to work. What can be issue here. Is there any separate settings available in windows to turn this feature off. How can I get it back.

Click on Start and then in that click on Run box. In that type appwiz.cpl and hit enter. This will launch control panel. If it opens then there can be some minor issue which you can fix via system restore. But if this does not work then you will have run run a repair setup of windows. This repair setup simply replaces the damage files and make your system work more better. The issue can be also due to corrupt system registry. You must scan your system with some good cleaner and then test it back.

Unable to open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel

I know this is a REALLY old post but i have the same problem and when i go to start> run> appwiz.cpl it takes me to the Add\Remove Programs list, however when i tried to go to the link below and typed regedit.exe in Start> Run it asked me which program i would like to open it.

i've tried them all, does anyone know which program i should use or shouldn't this be happening, if not, any ideas on what i can do??
    i appreciate your help!

Re: Unable to open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel

I cannot Unable to open Add or Remove Programs in the
    Control Panel. In fact a number of of items fail to open, such as:

Add Hardware
    Mouse
    Speech
    and a Dialouge box is coming that "PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR" CAN ANY ONE HELP ME

Quote Originally Posted by mahesh_99493 View Post
    "PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR" CAN ANY ONE HELP ME
    Are you logged in as admin? Normally if are you not then to to open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel you will have to get admin priviledges from the admin of your pc. I suppose you are logged in in your user account with less priviledges and cannot install or remove or modify any software, even any access.

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    Are you logged in as admin? Normally if are you not then to to open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel you will have to get admin priviledges from the admin of your pc. I suppose you are logged in in your user account with less priviledges and cannot install or remove or modify any software, even any access.
    Dear friend!
    Ihave the same problem. But I logged in as Admin. but I can't open ADD and Remove Programs. More Over, even I tried to right click on the desk top, i faced the same message("consult system Admin"). Additionally, the Settings/contol panel menu items is not seen on the Start Menu.what would happen to the system.
    Please help me
    OS is Windows XP
    system processor is Intel Dual Core 5400

It might be possible that your computer is having the malware or spyware infection because of which the system file got corrupted and you are getting this issue. I will first advise you to install any latest updated antivirus program and then update it with the latest virus definition and run system scan to detect infection and clear the infection. So if you are having this kind of issue then go with the same and see whether this is working to resolve your issue.

Computer= Compac V6120US Laptop Winows XP

ran %systemroot%\system32\appwiz.cpl
    appwiz.cpl
    regedit

nothing helped
    Ran Eset virus/mallware zapper - all=ok

Stil cannot open add/remove programs
    Last edited by gudway; 28-03-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gudway View Post
    Computer= Compac V6120US Laptop Winows XP

ran %systemroot%\system32\appwiz.cpl
    appwiz.cpl
    regedit

nothing helped
    Ran Eset virus/mallware zapper - all=ok

Stil cannot open add/remove programs
    Are you logged in as admin? Can you please specify in detail what kind of problem you are facing? You can try to fix this problem by going to the microsoft online Fix it for me section. To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link here. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.