Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Explorer.exe will not load or run

Windows XP Support

Old 15-08-2007

Explorer.exe will not load or run

Today all of a sudden on my computer the desktop or start bar was not loading anymore? I can hit ctrl-alt-del and execute just about any programs from there, but when ever I try to execute explorer.exe, I get a quick flash at the bottom of the screen where you can see the start bar for about a second, then it goes away. In the task manager, I don't see explorer.exe anywhere. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

Old 15-08-2007

Re: Explorer.exe will not load or run

Did you check tthe warning and error reports in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer? You will need to post copies of all Error and Warning Reports appearing in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for the last boot. No Information Reports or Duplicates please. Indicate which also appear in a previous boot. To access Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > and Event Viewer.

HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us
Old 16-08-2007

RE: Explorer.exe will not load or run

Can you try to log into Safe Mode and Restore the system to before the issue happened? Follow the below method to do that:
  1. When the Computer start Tap F8 until you get the Boot up options.
  2. Either Try Last known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) or Safe Mode Option (First one on the menu).
  3. If you selected Safe Mode, on Safe Mode Open a run command and type (you can copy & paste) this command: %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and then click ok and follow the wizard.
  4. Or you can try Repair/Install Windows XP
Old 16-08-2007

Re: Explorer.exe will not load or run

Thanks for the reply but how can I get to the Event Viewer without going through Start button, since I dont have it or any icons anymore on the desktop.
Old 17-08-2007

Can you try to do a system restore as stated? You can try that and then we can see if it will help get you into shape. If you still insisting here it goes:
Press Windows Key + R , the run command will open type in: eventvwr and click [OK] and hopefully the Event Viewer control Panel will open.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,