Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

windows installer can't find file to complete document viewer inst

Windows XP Support

Old 15-08-2007

windows installer can't find file to complete document viewer inst

I was using Windows XP on my desktop, finally now decided to update it to Service Pack 2. After following such a long process, at the end I got stuck with an error message saying something like ?windows installer failing to find ?documentviewer.msi?.? I tried the installation process thrice using almost all cds I received with this computer but none of them helped as installer is yet unable to find that msi file.

I tried finding some solution from web and in an MS KB I found them saying error appears because the file is not where it supposed to be. Well I thought to browse and select the location manually but seems like there is no options to choose from (only the default, which is "1"). The error message appears each time I restart my computer and the only way to get rid of same is by killing the process from Task Manager.

Do you guys have any idea regarding this? Please help.

Old 15-08-2007

RE: windows installer can't find file to complete document viewer inst

First of all i would like to know whether you really need the document viewer? Personally i never feel need of the same (documentviewer). Hence the best way i can suggest you is simply remove it from list of installed components using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and the error will go away.

You can download Cleanup Utility from below page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301
Old 10-10-2007

RE: windows installer can't find file to complete document viewer inst

Hey guys even i am struggling with the same error message. It is Windows XP SP2. Unlike you, i receive this error message on Startup as well as while launching any office application. In my case the system want to install MS Office XP Professional with Front Page, but as it is not able to find the file, gives me the said error . Furthermore as soon as i click on Cancel button it then tries to install Microsoft Publisher 2002.

I am facing this problem since a month now and dint found any solution yet. I wish i could get one from you guys.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , ,