Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

AVG free anti-virus causes XP to lock up

Windows XP Support

Old 08-08-2007

AVG free anti-virus causes XP to lock up

I am using Avg antivirus free edition that locks XP after running the program, scanning the drive. etc; after every 1-2 minutes. I am able to remove the Net card without any issues. I haev also tried a new net card but getting the same problem. If the net card is in the computer, then scanning locks the pc. I have done a new installation of AVG on XP. When I will not run the scan on Avg, the pc will run run just properly. Can anyone tell me any other antivirus program that will run fine? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2007

Re: AVG free anti-virus causes XP to lock up

You can download a tool called RevoUninstaller that will allow you to properly remove and thoroughly all of your installed Windows applications. Allowing faster grip, it offers a clean interface as well as several types of display software on your machine. Thus, you can find them in the form of icons and lists more or less detailed. And you can also try Avira AntiVirus Personal Edition Classic.
Old 08-08-2007

You might have to do a disk cleanup and scandisk/checkdisk and then try to run Avg antivirus. If still you are facing problem then you can switch to new antivirus.
Old 12-08-2007

Thanks for responding. It seems to be the issue was with computer looking up for the network card itself. After asing a local computer support, they suggested me to reinstall XP without the network card in the machine. Then when XP is loaded and its settled down, then install the network card and following this the problem got solved for me.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,