Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Can't print without restarting Print Spooler Service

Windows XP Support

Old 07-08-2007

Can't print without restarting Print Spooler Service

My pc is having some problem when I am trying to print. It has some kind of problem with printer spooler service. I am actually having around 3 printers on my network. Which are connected and controlled by Windows 2003 Server. First the users complained about printing. So I re-installed everything. But now it again stopped working. I tried to install the printer back again and reconfigure the service but it failed to work. Can anyone help me here in fixing the problem.

Old 08-08-2007

Re: Can't print without restarting Print Spooler Service

The issue appear if the printer spooler service does not start by its own. It is essential that you must simply put the same on automatic or check anything which is causing the issue. Go in services and check. The printer spooler service must be set on automatic. A number of time printing ports are the common issues behind the same. So you can don one thing is reconfigure it on other port and provide access to everyone.
Old 08-08-2007

I got the same issue on my network where I was having a single printer only. The issue was with the permission. The printer spooler service looks to be working fine.To fix that I created a user group who was having full right to access the printer. Then I moved the users in that group and it worked. There was no issue at all. There was no problem with the configuration. Just assign a static ip to the printer and then check back. I hope that will be more than enough to fix the problem.
Old 09-08-2007

Yes hook the printer on static ip and then add the same in all other system. And then see whether it works fine or not. A number of time due to improper connectivity the printer spooler service is also affected and you get the issue on the screen. Do not keep them on automatic settings. When pc restart or when the network reboots the printer might not be available and so the printer was affected.
Old 13-06-2008

SOLUTION that worked for us

SOLUTION: Disable Bi-directional in the printer's properties (if it's on a Print Server, you have to do this on print queue's printer properties).

I thought maybe the printer was sending or expecting some info to or from the queue, so I thought of Bi-Directional printing. I remembered it from back in the mid-90s doing tech support with consumer printers, and figured it couldn't hurt to try it on enterprise network printing.

This has happened to us a few times with random and different HP models.

This has fixed it every time.

Good luck!

-Mike
Old 08-06-2009

Superb Mike. Works for me!
Old 08-07-2011

Disable Bi-directional in the printer's properties.

This is Working very good.......

Thanks a Lot!!!!!

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,