Thread: Cannot start MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service

Cannot start MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service

I am having a new Windows XP PC. I had just recently installed SP2 update on the same. Nwo when I try to start Shadow Copy service I am getting a error on the screen. The error is Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. I am constantly getting the error on the screen and I am not able to find any solution to fix the issue. Does anyone know how to get rid of the issue. I think everything is ok in my pc.

Re: Cannot start MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service

I think you have to simply re-install the service back again. The first option that I will recommend you to do is run system restore. If that does not work then you have to install it back again. Which can be done by cmd. Run each of them one by one and then check back.
    • cd /d %windir%\system32
    • Net stop vss
    • Net stop swprv
    • regsvr32 ole32.dll
    • regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    • regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    • vssvc /register
    • regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    • regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    • regsvr32 es.dll
    • regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    • regsvr32 vssui.dll
    • regsvr32 msxml.dll
    • regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    • regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Just try to run system restore. I am sure that will be enough to fix the problem you are facing. System restore is one of the best way to fix number of problems of your system. It works really fine and there is no issue at all. Just run system restore first and go in the services back to enable the same. And then check back the same. It will be quiet enough to fix the problem you are facing. I am sure that will be more helpful.

There is no way to re-install that service. It is not available on web for download. You have to do one more thing here. You can run a repair setup of windows which will be more helpful. You can do that via Windows installation disc. Just boot the system through xp disc and hit R on the boot. Which will run the repair setup and that is more than enough to fix the problem. It is not really complicated to fix the issue and after running the repair setup ample of issues are fixed.

HI THIS IS LARRY AND I TOO GET ERROR 1053 FOR MS SOFTWARE SHADOW PROVIDER. i AM TRYING TO RUN MOZYHOME BACKUP AND CAN'T

HAS ANYONE SOLVED THIS??

I also found that MS Shadow Copy Provider would not start, but instead gave the error message "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". The solution involving uninstalling all of the "storage volumes" on my system may have worked, but it sounded risky to me. Being not quite brave enough to try that without first looking for something that sounded more risk-free, I continued to search and found a Microsoft post at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519872, but for a different version of Windows. Looking at that post, I decided that the key thing is to get swprv.dll working, so I typed
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    on the command line, with \windows\system32 as the default directory. (The example includes the /s option, but that only suppresses a message which is probably worth seeing.) In my case, at least, this worked. I got a message reporting the success of regsvr32, and then I typed
    net start swprv
    on the command line, which is the command line equivalent of starting the service through Administrative Tools -> Services. I got the happy messages
    The MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service is starting.
    The MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service was started successfully.