Thread: Print spooler hangs when trying to print from a shared print

Print spooler hangs when trying to print from a shared print

I have 2 printers with printerA and printerB and a Windows 2003 Server domain controller ServerA and Windows XP SP2, which is member of domain XYZ ServerB and a Windows XP SP2 member of domain XYZ ClientA. The domain user is UserA and each time when he logs onto clientA, then a script is run that maps the shared printers on serverB. I have some issues with 2 printers that is printerA and printerB. Both this printers are installed through network on serverB and they have an ip address each. I am able to print without any isues from the serverB via both printers as long as they are not shared. I am also able to print out without any issues when the printers are shared but when no domin users are logged on. If userA logs onto ClientA, both printers are mapped correct. I am able to see them in the "printers and faxes". But if you try to print something or try to access the printer properties, nothing happens on the clientA. At the same time the service "print spooler" on the serverB hangs. It will also lead explorer hanging on serverB also. The only thing i can do is to manage the serverB through serverA(active directory) and stop the spooler service. After this serverB gets normal again. Can anyone tell me how to solve this? Thanks

Re: Print spooler hangs when trying to print from a shared print

Do you use HP standard TCP/IP Port or the same port shipped in Windows? It looks to me like max CPU utilization by the spooler service on ServerB. Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the printers and drivers already? Have you checked the event log error from ServerB?

The HP standard tcp/ip port is what I am using and you are also correct about the CPU utilization. It will get to 100% when spooler is hanging. I did try to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers but it didnt help. I have also used drivers from HP to no avail.

Check the below article to troubleshoot the issue:

How to troubleshoot network printing problems in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314073/en-us

Error message: Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894/en-us