Thread: Random hover=select behavior on my Dell laptop

Random hover=select behavior on my Dell laptop

I am having a Dell laptop with Windows XP SP2. It is a brand new laptop bought just a month ago. Yesterday morning while I was working unfortunately I bundle of 5 books felt on my laptop’s keyboard. And since then it started behaving weird. Now randomly the keyboard and mouse behaves as if I am hovering the mouse over a certain thing is equivalent to single-clicking it.

For example suppose I am using Internet Explorer and I move my mouse to the vertical scrollbar area below the slider, it "thinks" that I single-clicked and it scrolls the browser window down. This is weird. Similarly when I mouse hover to any open window on the task bar, the window opens up without clicking. Now as it seems like a hardware fault done by mistakenly by me, I don’t think Dell will consider it under Warranty, right?

Do you guys have any solution for this problem? If I need to repair it, how much will it cost? Please help.

RE: Random hover=select behavior on my Dell laptop

Yes, it may be hardware fault or may be not because laptops use to have several settings related to their Function keys and there are possibilities that when the books felt, some keys might have pressed together and settings would have been changed. So to make it sure whether it is Settings problem, then try to perform System Restore to last restore point. See if that will bring you to shape.

If that doesn't fixes the issue then go to Control panel Click Printer and Other Hardware. Now double click the Mouse icon and make sure the settings there are correct for mouse. Make sure that under Buttons tab the right device is selected and the settings there are correct.

Let me know if that helps.

Re: Random hover=select behavior on my Dell laptop

I found a way using which you can prevent your mousse selecting/launching without clicking the apps. Just check this:

If you have TweakUI installed, go to "Mouse" > "X-Mouse" and disable it by unchecking the box(es). If you don't have TweakUI, run the edit entitled "Enable or Disable Active Window Tracking" at line 171 on this site:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    Be sure to click on "Disable" !