Thread: Missing mshtml.hlp

Missing mshtml.hlp

I keep on getting this message

HTML Code:
    Cannot find c:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.hlp file

What must i do........Im using Windows XP and Outlook Express (my broadband only works on Outlook Express for mail.)

Hope someone can help me....

Thanks for a cold Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Missing mshtml.hlp

Can you click on Start > Run and then type SFC /SCANNOW and click OK. Incase any files are damaged or missing, then they will be replaced. You might need to restart after that so that the damaged files gets replaced.

Still not working

I get the following message when doing that

HTML Code:
    [SIZE="5"]Windows cannot find "SFC/SCANNOW".  Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again[/SIZE]
    HELPPPPPPPPP

grrr

trying again but this time putting a space before the /SCANNOW.... hope this works...

RE: Missing mshtml.hlp

You can try tomanage Internet Explorer add-ons in Windows XP Service Pack 2, just follow the below link to solve this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256

Thank You

Firstly, thank you Nass for your lengthy report on what i need to do. In doing all this, it has also helped me to sort out another problem that i have had for over a year already. Thank you.

Secondly, the reason why i used caps was to identify what the system was telling me from that that i was asking. Im sorry if it offened you and was not ment to be "big and ugly" as you stated but for easy reading. Sorry if my typing offended any others as well.

Thirdly, under the scan from here online, it would not download the signatures there the scan did not work. Why i dont know.

Fourthly, thank you for the virus cleaner, it has picked up on something that the virus cleaner that i have installed did not. There are six files that could not be scanned, what must i do with them? It said that no virus body were found on my drive c: and in memory. Thats a good sign i guess.

As i previously stated, finally i got my disk cleanup to run and boy was it nice to see that working. Had to remove the compressed files under the registery key for it work.

Once again, sorry if my typing was not up to standard and i know for future use.

Thank you so much for your help from a rainy Cape Town, South Africa.

Re: Missing mshtml.hlp

Are you saying that the http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/d....htm?s_cid=sah didn't download the signature to perform a scan? Well, you can download the free AVG antivirus and it will protect files for either Legitimate Program or nasty ones. You can also download the below tools to see the running processes in real-time and you can search them to make sure they are Legit from the microsoft website:
    "Process Explorer for Windows v10.21"
    "AutoRuns for Windows v8.61 By Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell"

Thanks alot Nass. I do alreay have Process Explorer and it runs beautifully.

This morning when i put my pc on - it asked me if i wanted to used Windows XP setup or another. I had to click on windows xp setup inorder for pc to get started. Why would this be.

Downloaded Autoruns - just need to figure out whats what and what i need to do.

Thank from a cold Cape Town, South Africa

I ran the avast! Virus Cleaner tool and got the following :

C:\Documents and Settings\Diane Louw.DIANE.000\Local Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_70.dat... file could not be scanned!
    C:\Documents and Settings\Diane Louw.DIANE.000\Local Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_9c4.dat... file could not be scanned!
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\arclib._ll... file could not be scanned!
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\vet._a1... file could not be scanned!
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log... file could not be scanned!
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb... file could not be scanned!

Am busy running the thorough Full systm scan and it has picked up 1 infection so far which was moved to the chest.

Wow.......... this avast is the only one picking all this up - im impressed.

so far, touch wood, the MSHTML.HLP message has not come up yet. But one never knows hey lol

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=5
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
    "

Must i also remove the last line as Windows XP Professional is the one that works....