Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Is there a patch or fix available for that. I had seen Microsoft provide hotfix for number of Windows issue, but they do not offer any hotfix to restore Explorer.exe errors. I had searched Microsoft site for hours but yet there is nothing listed. The answer that worked for me Repair setup. Repair setup does not wipe your Windows settings it just restore the system files. You will need Windows XP bootable disc for that. It will try to restore all the files and without removing any installed software. But still take a backup before doing this.

Re: Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

There are no simple fixes available for that. I had worked on number of systems which are dealing with explorer issues. One thing I am also shocked to find that Microsoft does not offer any patch that can fix the same. It takes time to analyse the problem and then arrange fix for that. Till that time you can simply format your computer and restore everything. File backup is easy if you do that on a usb drive. Disc cloning is a option that can help you to revert old changes back. That is the only thing you can go for. You can use cmd to scan system files. That is via sfc /scannow. Another command that is used to verify disk integrity is chkdsk /r. There are no other things available we can go for. Somehow even if you download the dll files from web and copy that in your disc, the antivirus many detect as it a thread if it is not verified.

I will not recommend to go for any dll files that you download form web and install. The best thing is to format your system and install fresh updates. That makes your system more stable about 70% explorer.exe error are caused due to virus only. I keep a disk image in separate partition. I am using Norton Ghost for the same. It takes some 15 mins to get back my Windows and it is the best way to restore system. You do not need to format your partition and again. Just setup a automated backup process through Windows Backup or third party tools.

If you go on support.microsoft.com you can see a search box. Type the issue there. You can also type the dll file that your error log has listed. This will provide you intact information on the same. You can then follow those troubleshooting steps and fix the issue. That is the best way I think to deal with explorer.exe errors.

I am also looking for some automated software that can do this. I tried some tune up utilities, a dll scanner, etc. But they are not so helpful. My system behave a bit weirdly in normal mode. The explorer crash and did not respond at all. I can see only blank desktop on launch. While in Safe Mode things went normal. So it clearly looks that there is some kind of file in Windows which is giving the issue. System restore gives temporary relief only. The cpu usage goes to 100% when I open any folder.

Can we download explorer.exe from somewhere and replace it in Windows/System32. I am not able to locate that file. Anyhow it is a exe file which works automatically boot. If the file is corrupted or damaged we can surely replace that and make it work fine. I am using a third party explorer in Windows XP. I launch it through Task Manager > File > Run. It works fine. I can see all listed documents and file in that. I tried to located the executable file on Microsoft site but it is not available for download.

It is really very frustrating to deal with explorer errors. I am not able to find any response on the same. I had seen a tons of post which provides info on this error, but there is no valid answer available. Even Microsoft forums too have many things, but nothing is mentioned clearly. I had tried all stuff here. I had seen some sites which offers a Exlorer.exe fix tool. But I am not sure to download and run them. One of them is Windows Explorer shell fix. Did anyone has tried it.

It is a clear virus issue. I had got one warning from my antivirus, but it is not removed. On every boot I am getting the virus warning. The explorer.exe just crashed with similar error. I had scanned the system in safe mode also, but that did not helped much. It looks like he virus is not easy to remove.

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" (another one)

What error you get exactly. The file you mentioned kernel32.dll is either missing or corrupt. There must be detail provided in error. I too thing that it is some kind of virus in your system. You can download other free antivirus which can scan and detect the same. Kernel files are mostly associated with memory management. Other dll files can be restored one, but for this I will recommend you to format your system completely. Try get new updates or patches if you can find on Microsoft site. That might give you some temporary relief.

Re: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" (another one)

I think kernel32.dll is not actually the issue. Explorer.exe is the only way to acces file in Windows. You can run files or app through cmd also but for you have to learn relative commands for the same. I found this problem as one of the most complicated in Windows. There are third party tools that guarantee fixes but they are useless. Event Viewer offers you detail log report. You can visit Microsoft to find help article that can tell you how to read the bug report. And on that basis you can download the right updates.

My system looks to be dead completely. It was working find. I receive a weird error message on shutdown. It was related to some dll failed issue. Then on reboot the same Explorer error appeared and the system crashed. I was having virus before, but those were cleaned by the AVG. They were detected and quarantined. I thought the issue was solved. I am still finding inconvenience to locate the files properly. I scanned the system is safe mode but nothing was detected. I even tried to locate the dll files from a working system, but it do not allow me to paste the same on Windows directory.

I think you are wasting your time. Run a repair setup that will be fine according to me. Before that in safe mode run msinfo in Start Run box. You will find a short system summary there. This system summary will help you to troubleshoot the problem. Run some antimalware program and if that does not work much then simply run the repair setup. That is the only best option you have to get your system working.

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I am receiving the Windows Explorer has encountered a problem.....

I have used three different virus scan programs (McAfee, Trend Micro, and F-Secure), Spybot, and Ad-Aware and they removed numerous cookies and a couple of trojan viruses. The computer now scans clean. I can't get rid of the Windows explorer message which pops up whenever I try to open ANY program on my computer. I can only execute programs by using the Start, Run feature.

I have been unable to successfully download any version of Internet Explorer (side issue, don't know if it's related).

This is my system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Dell DM051
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2660 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A05, 3/31/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.59 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 4.34 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I am using Firefox with the Internet Explorer enabler feature turned on to be able to access the internet and any windows programs. I even tried to use the Windows XP Home Edition disk to reload my registry files via the suggestion from another board discussion.

I can't get the system to go back to a previous restore point. I am trying to avoid have to erase my hard drive by reinstalling Windows to get things back to normal. I'm not real technical, so take it easy. Any help out there?

Thanks, Tamiko

Hi for everyone

Indeed I've the same problem but in some differents, for Ex. I've that Msg "windows explorer hsa encountered ...." whn I browes through the windows
    and the details here:

AppName:explorer.exe
    AppVer:6.0.2900.5512

ModeNAme:qdv.dll
    ModeVer: 6.5.2600.5512

offset:00006e2b

so wht the problem
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realsam View Post
    Hi for everyone

Indeed I've the same problem but in some differents, for Ex. I've that Msg "windows explorer hsa encountered ...." whn I browes through the windows
    and the details here:

AppName:explorer.exe
    AppVer:6.0.2900.5512

ModeNAme:qdv.dll
    ModeVer: 6.5.2600.5512

offset:00006e2b

so wht the problem
    thanks
    Your problem is related to the "qdv.dll" which cannot be considered as a spyware, this is a part of DirectX. Try running the following command, Start>>Run>>type "regsvr32.exe qdv.dll" - Enter. If that doesn't fix the issue then you will want to reinstall DirectX over itself. The spyware issue is a different problem, but not related to Explorer crashing on you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12