Thread: Windows XP replacement Disc

Windows XP replacement Disc

I purchased a hard drive from a store that failed on my computer. It was not having the XP discs but was having the product key sticker/number on the case. Can anyone tell me how to get a replacement copy from microsoft? There is no contact number of the computer manufacturer. Can anyone give me the number or email contact that doesnt charge for microsoft? Thanks.

RE: Windows XP replacement Disc

Well, if you carry an OEM disc then Microsoft wont be able to help you with that. Incase you have a Full Retail Software that seems doubtful from your Description then you can get a replacement CD. Below is a link that you can check if your problem relates to the same:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Re: Windows XP replacement Disc

You cannot try to obtain an OEM copy from microsoft, only the computer manufacturers will be able to supply the replacement disk. Or you will have to go out and buy a retail edition. Can you make sure that your computer didnt come with a restore disk?

I actually purchased my computer from a walmart store and it didnt come with discs either, but it does state somewhere in the paper work that you have to create them on your pc.

RE: Windows XP replacement Disc

When you go on your start > all programs > pc tools and there will be a recovery CD creator. Just check it and let us know the results.

You wont be able to install the OS, because with pre-installed OEM software, only the computer manufacturer can provide the replacement. Have you checked whether the manufacturer has a website? If you want any support from microsoft for the OEM license, then it is going to cost you.