Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cannot create a file when that file already exists

Windows XP Support

Old 11-06-2007

Cannot create a file when that file already exists

If I am trying to map the computer that currently gets this error message when trying to map to a shared printer, then I am getting this message when I am installing the drivers that says "Cannot create a file when that file already exists." The other computers are shared to this printer and all are working great. I have already removed and reinstalled the drivers on the host computer, even tried installing the drivers on the computer with the issue, but whatever I do, if I try to map to this printer via the bad computer then it always gives me the same error message? Can anyone please help. Thanks

Old 15-06-2007

Can you tell us whether you are in a workgroup or domain environment? Have you checked if the user account is setup properly? Have you tried to login to the computer with a different account, like admin and tried to setup the printer? Do you get the error when you install the printer or when you try to connect to the printer? Can you tell us if you install the printer to your local LPT port, and then delete the printer and try to reconnect to the share?
Old 15-06-2007

Re: Cannot create a file when that file already exists

After uninstalling all printer drivers and even removing them from the registry and from the local machine, I installed it again and it worked now. Seem I just have to install the other printers as well which is a very long way to go.
Old 24-06-2007

Re: Cannot create a file when that file already exists

Well, this looks strange but anyways, you can try to repair windows in the client pc, but it will take a lot of time. Will you be able to post the error code and the full details for the error message?
Old 11-01-2008

This issue has been checked in Microsoft Windows XP and may apply to all Windows Versions.
To solve this problem, delete documents in the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
Then reinstall all printers.
This is the only solution.
Old 07-05-2008

Was able to find another solution

This has happened to 2 computers in our office this week. The first one I tried to uninstall all of the printers on and the drivers and that didn't work so I ended up reimaging the whole thing. For the second PC I had an idea...if the only way to fix this was to redo the whole drivers folder, why can't I copy that folder from a PC that works to that PC? Obviously you have to be networked to do this. I rebooted the bad one and left it at the login screen and then went into it from my PC and copied the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers from my PC to that one. It worked!
Old 09-09-2008

Thanks

This works...Thanks,thanks,thanks

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,