Thread: Disk Defragmenter problem?

Disk Defragmenter problem?

If I am using the Disk Defragmenter then I am just getting this message - "Defragmentation is complete for: (C:). Some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files." If I check the report then I dont see any files listed. I have tried to disable the pagefile but still the problem happens? Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this problem? Thanks.

Have you tried to check any errors in the Event Logs on your computer? Did you also try to enable the viewing of all types of files with the help of explorer tool, there could be about 3 entries that needs to be set.

Thanks for the reply, but could you please tell me how to check these files on the Disk Defragmenter?

Re: Disk Defragmenter problem?

Well, you can download the Sysinternals Suite which is a troubleshooting Utilities that have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb842062.aspx

You can even try to go to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options and then set the option boxes to show all files of all types > about 3 entries. After the defrag is complete, it will ten show a window with the files that it is not able to defrag.

Thanks for the help but I can still see the issue is still there. Any other ideas?

Hi There I am new to this forum I don't really know what to do but here I go. I am having problems with my computer and Disk Defragmenter everytime I try to use it, it says "Disk Defragmenter could not start" and I can't figure out what is wrong. Hope you guys can help.
    Thanks

Are you trying to run the Defragmenter from the Admin account or from a user account with not so admin rights and privileges? Incase you are getting this error message as the admin then you can copy and past the same error message here and we will be able to help you with the precise solution that you are looking for.