Thread: System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatically

System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatically

I need some help here. I want some automated process by which I can simply wake up the system after a specific time interval without any need of pressing keys from the keyboard. I tried to find out the same in settings but there are no wake-up settings available. There are only sleep or hibernation settings available. Does windows is not having anything related to wake pc. I hope there will be some kind of third party application that can do the job. I need some options by which I can automatically wake the pc from sleep mode.

RE: System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatically

I do not think it is possible by some automated settings on software level. That can be done through hardware level only. You will have to use some third party tool to wake your pc automatically. There are some tools available. But they are not at all effective. I think you must search for wake on lan kind of features. That will be really helpful is waking up your system from sleep mode. I had not yet seen any application that can do this job. There is a requirement of user intervention to wake the pc from sleep or hibernation.

RE: System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatica

Yes you can use Wake on lan. That will work. But for that you will need to check the settings from the bios. Wake on lan is a separate feature which is available in the bios and you can through that simply turn your pc on. It is really helpful to some extent. Just go in bios and enable the settings. Then you will need to go in device manager and configure the lan adapter to except the settings. Just right click on the lan adapter and click properties. In that go in Advance select wake from shutdown and choose on. The next time when you want to wake your pc then just hit the ip address from the web browser.

That process will not wake your pc but through that you can simply turn on your pc. Wake on lan is different here. It is for booting all the system directly from a different pc. Which is one of the best option for remote access. You can turn your pc on and then also turn it off through remote setup. I am using the same here for my office pc. But I am not sure about the sleep stuff. I am also looking for some easy to use application that can automatically wake a pc up when needed.

I had tried whatever you have said and it worked perfectly. I was able to get some settings through the bios. So here I was actually looking for some option by which I can simply turn on my system from my office and wake on lan worked here. While for sleep I too think there is nothing available. It is one of the most essential utility for office work. I hope there will be some application available in future which might really work as expected .

While if talk technically then there is no way available for a Win32 application that can allow your system to resume back from sleep mode. It can be only done on the basis of hardware event. There is no application that can do this. To do the same you have to work on the kernel mode driver. Which will intercept the hardware event and wake the pc. But that will be a bit complicated and long process .

This can be done through Task Scheduler. You can simply use a task management to wake your pc but for that you will need to set a prescribed time. You can wake up only on the basis of to time. You can create a new Task that will wake the system at a time interval. I had set around 3 to 4 time interval and the pc just wakes up back on its own. That is one of the most easiest way available that does not require any kind of third party applications and works fine enough.

At the time of hibernation the system is completely turned off. Due to which only through hardware intervention it will be turned on back. For laptop there are some set of keys that you can simply use to turn on the pc back again. The bios is only having a kind of feature which will work for it. While if the bios does not support then you cannot do anything. Task Scheduler is a right solution but it has ample of limitations. It is essential that you must simply stick with the existing settings only.

Hi John,

I wanted to get some clarification from you on something you posted.

>>-------------------
    My Toshiba for example, is configured to automatically hibernate when I close the lid and automatically resume when the lid is opened. There is a tab on the power options that allows me to configure the setting controlling this.
    >>-------------------

How do you configure what your Toshiba laptop does when you open the lid? I have not found anything to allows you to configure this. I have my Toshiba laptop set to hibernate when I close the lid. However, my lid is starting to get loose and sometimes in my laptop bag it will open slightly and Windows will resume until the battery dies. I want my laptop to not resume when the lid is opened. I want to open the lid and press the power button to resume Widnows. Is that possible?

Thanks,

I changed my "close lid" to "no actoin", hibernated manually, closed the lid, reopened the lid and it automatically resumed Windows. I have no idea how to get the open lid to stop the resume. I have a Toshiba Tecra A4 laptop about 2 years old.

My Power Saver Properties windows looks slightly different than what you are describing. I've attached a screen shot of what mine looks like and the only place I can set the Close Lid option is under the Setup Action tab.

Unforunately, the light bulbs only apply to the Basic Setup tab. The Setup Action tab only has the "When I close the lid" option and the light bulbs are not available for selection when teh Setup Action tab is selected. Even though it might look that way, the two tabs don't work together.

Good thought and I actually had high hopes that would work; but no such luck. Same thing happened... windows started up again when I opened the lid.

Re: System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatica

I am having a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It has a application called as Toshiba Power Saver. It is inside the Control Panel. I am using this to manage the laptop respond when the lid is closed or open. I went inside Toshiba Power Saver > Power Save Modes > Details > System Power Mode. Here I found When I close the lid from a drop down list and set it to No. Here what I want that if I open the lid the laptop must turn on back.

Different systems has different power settings. And it is recommended that you left the default one if you do not want to mess more with the power options. Till yet there are not development in auto wake up stuff. You can simply manage the sleep mode but you cannot manage the wakeup thing. It is a bit complicated to some extent. This can be some kind of feature in the coming time. I had seen some people selling a third party tool that turn on your system automatically. But they are costly gadgets.

It should be possible to change this setting. What is the model number for your laptop? I'll take a look on the Toshiba website and see if I can find the owner's guide and compare it to mine to see if we can figure out how to do this.
    Last edited by Afzal; 22-04-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: New response.

Hi,

Any one got solution?

I tried some solution with waitable timer.

I am able to wake up the machine from sleep after specified time.

If any one interested to know the solution please reply...

I am very interested could You tell me how to do thank You

me too!!!

please, can you post your solution?

Thanks

Re: System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatically

I found this library to wake up pc
    I tried and it works fine, there is demo program for test

Re: System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatically

Hi, could you share the library you used and where to find it. It was missing from your post. Thanks