Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Scheduled Tasks not running

Windows XP Support

Old 21-05-2007

Scheduled Tasks not running

Since last couple of weeks, the Scheduled Tasks is not running at all. I have done some troubleshooting of the Task Manager as per the mircrosoft article that I have found, all settings seems to correct as well. Can anyone tell me if there is a Windows XP update that has something to do with it? Thanks.

Old 21-05-2007

Re: Scheduled Tasks not running

Well, there is a possibility for anything but have you tried to change your password? It will stop scheduled tasks set to run as your userid.
Old 22-05-2007

Have you checked whether the Task Scheduler service is set to automatic and is running? You can try to open services and then go to Start > Run > Type: services.msc and then click ok. After that scroll down to and double click Task Scheduler and make sure that its set to Automatic under Startup type and then click the Start button and when it starts, then close Services.

Also check "How to troubleshoot scheduled tasks in Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308558
Old 22-05-2007

There was no password change since they were set up not using passwords. I have tried to change my hard drive name recently but forgot if all occurred at same time. Thanks for the reply.
Old 22-05-2007

Have you checked the setting of limitblankpassworduse, if it is set to 0, then there are no passwords needed for Schedule tasks.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Value name: limitblankpassworduse
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)

limitblankpassworduse is Enabled, set to 1, by default.
Old 22-05-2007

I am using Windows XP home edition and that value is set to 0. So I think that i will needto delete them and then re-create the Tasks. Thanks
Old 22-05-2007

Incase they didnt run, then over on the right of the list of tasks list is the return code, it is often out of sight. That could be able to give you clue why they are not running, but I dont know how to interpret the codes.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: