Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

exe file association key deleted from registry by mistake, help!

Windows XP Support

Old 13-05-2007

exe file association key deleted from registry by mistake, help!

I have a Dell laptop running with Windows XP SP2. There was a program installed on my system since long time which I removed yesterday. Due to some reasons I was looking for its remnants under the registry keys. While doing the same by mistakenly I deleted the following key:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*".

Since then there is no icon for any of the exe files on my system, neither they run by double clicking or doing anything. While trying to run any exe, I get the following error message:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Any idea how can I restore that key or any working solution for this issue? Many Thanks.

Old 13-05-2007

Re: exe file association key deleted from registry by mistake, help!

Hello Naa'Il,

There is a MS KB article describing the same problem with solution depending on operating system. You should check out the same. Hope it will fix the problem:

You receive an error message when you try to start a program that has an.exe file name extension
Old 13-05-2007

Re: exe file association key deleted from registry by mistake, help!

Hello,

Restore the EXE association http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

(click on EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)). There is a NOTE there if you have trouble starting registry editor.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , , ,