Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Outlook Express is unable to compact folders. Error Message displayed

Windows XP Support

Old 05-05-2007

Outlook Express is unable to compact folders. Error Message displayed

I am facing lots of issues with Outlook Express and this issues started happening recently after running same software problem-free for over 2 years. If I am trying to compact folders, then the below message is displayed:

The folder is currently in use by OE or by another application. And I am getting an option in this two types - O.K. / Cancel. Also the compacting progress bar will not reach the end. Also all the .bak files are deleted into the recycle bin. Outlook Express with freeze on splash screen when trying to open it.

Old 05-05-2007

Check to ensure that you are offline so that you cannot send and receive messages or looking to send and receive. Follow the below steps:
  1. First of all open Outlook Express.
  2. After that check to make sure you aren't receiving any mail, so your Inbox or any other folders aren't active you need to Work Offline.
  3. Now you have to click File > Click Work Offline (Or hit Alt + F + W).
  4. Also check to make sure no folders are open, highlight Outlook Express in the
  5. Folders List.
  6. Now you need to close the Folders List, click the X on the Folders list or click on the Folders List icon on the toolbar.
  7. After that click File > Folder > Compact All Folders (Or hit Alt + F + F + F).
  8. Do not try to do anything until your hard drive has quit thrashing.
  9. Also try not to forget to Click File and UNCheck: Work Offline (Or hit Alt + F + W).
Old 05-05-2007

Re: Outlook Express is unable to compact folders. Error Message di

Thanks for the reply, but after following the method I am still getting the same error messages.
Old 06-05-2007

I think that the folder called folders.dbx is in use. So after closing Outlook Express and restarting before starting your method can help us a lot.
Old 08-05-2007

Can you check whether any of these $yunli_temp_folder_inbox_$%^&(){}$(1) files correspond to an actual folder in OE? You should try to delete those 25 files first before deleting folders.dbx.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: