Thread: The network path was not found

The network path was not found

I have a small network at home connecting 4 different Windows XP PCs. I set it up just four days ago and everything was working fine so far. But today morning don’t know what went wrong, when I try to access another PC, I get the following error message:

'The network path was not found".

I ran the automated troubleshooter but it didn’t found any problem. Yet I am not able to open second pc on the network? Any help would be appreciated.

Please help.

Re: The network path was not found

Ok just go through the following steps to fix out the problem.

Start by right clicking My Network Places Icon on the Desktop and select properties. Then Right click Local Area Connection and again select Properties.Here under "This connection uses....." click on "Client for MS Networks" and select Properties. Now select "Windows Locator" from the dropdown box, if disabled skip. Click Ok.

Now scroll down and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. Here under General tab make sure the box for "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected. Now move ahead and click Advanced button. Here under the DNS tab:

Selected "Append Primary and Parent DNS suffixes.
    Register this connections address in DNS"

Under the WINS tab > NetBIOS select Default and click Ok out of MNP.
    Reboot if required.

Thats it. See if you are able to access the second PC.

I sympathize with everyone who has pulled his hair out over this problem.

I run a win 98 and win xp simultaneously using a broadband router. Just recently I set up a home network with them, using the win xp CD wizard to do so...IP addresses assigned automatically, as well as MSHome, NetBios enabled, file and printer sharing etc.

I can ping fine between the two using the assigned IP addresses, and the win 98 system can see the other computer and access its shared docs folder just fine. However, my win xp computer cannot see the win 98 or access its shared folder (the one with the files I really want to transfer.)

I've tried typing into my XP run box \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(IP address win 98)\shared docs... as well as other similar commands, and just wound up with "The network path was not found"

It's enough to drive you nuts! I've been fiddling with this for days.

Solved my problem. When I got my new win xp machine I wanted to transfer some large files - music, videos - from my old win 98. Networking the two would have been great but I almost went crazy trying to get it working correctly.
    Finally I used FTP freeware to transfer the files. Easy solution for what I wanted.