Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Printer settings could not be saved on port setup of printer

Windows XP Support

Old 25-04-2007

Printer settings could not be saved on port setup of printer

I want to create 2 printers on Windows XP which uses the same port, that is a Netware 5.1 print queue, but use different drivers for the printer. When I try to specify the port, I get "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed." I tried to create a local printer with the second print driver I want to use for only some applications and then change the port, but I get this error. How can I do this so I can print to the same network printer but with different print drivers?

Old 25-04-2007

Re: Printer settings could not be saved on port setup of printer

You can try to create two local printers on the client using a Local Port in the form \\remotemachine\printshare. I think that it will work when the remote machine is Netware and you have the Netware client installed.
Old 25-04-2007

If I am trying to do the first one, I get the message Port \\RIMS\WAM4050 already exists. (RIMS is the Novell server and WAM4050 is the print queue).
Old 26-04-2007

Actually, the netware provider creates a local port

net use LPT2: \\RIMS\WAM4050 /PERSISTENT:YES

After that change to LPT2

net use lpt2: /d will delete the mapped device.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: