Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows Desktop Search - disable ??

Windows XP Support

Old 23-04-2007

Windows Desktop Search - disable ??

I am using Windows XP system which was earlier running with Outlook Express. Last week I uninstalled OE and started using Outlook 2003. Since then I can see WDS (windows desktop search) on my desktop. I wouldn?t had any problem with it but it is eating up huge resources. When I checked it in Task Manager I found searchindexer.exe and searchprotocol.exe and other searchxxxxx.exe are eating up 100% of my CPU.

So I wanted to dis disable windows desktop search from my system as I never needed it. I don?t know how to remove the same. I found some article on MS Knowledge Base but the procedure was too complicated for a person like me. So I request you guys to please provide me an easy method using which I can get rid of WDS.

Thank you.

Old 24-04-2007

RE: Windows Desktop Search - disable ??

Hello Hardiyy,

Just go to Start > RUN. Entered ?services.msc?. Under Services applet, disable Windows Search service and you are done.

For more help on the same, you can check the following articles:
Completely Disable Desktop Search?
Uninstall Windows Desktop Search & restore original search
Disabling WDS (Windows Desktop Search) ??

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,