Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

cannot copy file-path too long

Windows XP Support

Old 20-04-2007

cannot copy file-path too long

I am getting constantly a error on my pc. I am having some archived pst file son my pc. When I try to copy the same I am getting a file patch too long error. I want to backup all my emails and copy them in some other place. I cannot use them on separate places. If that is possible then it is too good. But here I am trying to do the same manually and it does not looks well. I need some help here fix the problem. What can I do to fix the issue.

Old 20-04-2007

Re: cannot copy file-path too long

That issue appear when the file is kept inside multiple folders. That simply means if the file is too deep inside then copy does not really work well. You have to check that the path of the same must no tbe less than 256 characters. What you can do here is use some third party copy software like Teracopy. This is a great tool to transfer files and it works really well. There is no problem at all with the performance and transfer rate.
Old 22-09-2008

You can use the same mails on multiple systems. What you have to do is just copy the mails in the default folder of Outlook in different pc. That is the best way to fix the issue. You can just view emails. And then you can modify them as per your need. Now there are some nice migration tools available on the web. You can download them and use it for migration emails and other important settings. That reduces the manual way of data transfer.
Old 23-09-2008

Yes I will also recommend you to use some third party file manager. There are ample of them available. You can use them to simply transfer files wherever you want. I am also using TeraCopy. There are some simple to use multi-window file manager software available on the web. In which you just need to drag and drop the files. That's all. It works fine without much issue. You can download any of the free tools and then check back. Or just stick with Tera Copy. It is a good software.
Old 27-10-2010

Try to move the files to some next folder. The folder is placed very deep inside the directory due to which you are getting the problem. So just move it slowly in different folders and then you can finally copy the same on the desktop. For using outlook in different pc you can use a nice tool called as outlook migration wizard. This tool is available for free on web and you can through it migrate the outlook files easily into multiple system.
Old 02-01-2011

Hi. I ran into that problem too. And after days of searching I finally found
this software: Delete Long Path File Tool.

It's GREAT.

i also have faced the same problem and following software sort out my problem
Old 27-06-2014

its efficient tech to use DuplicateFilesDeleter to reduce such problems. files with too long can reduce
Old 13-07-2014

Hello,

Simply download new Long Path Tool software that simply allows you to work easily on Long Path files.

Thank you.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,