Thread: ATI Control Panel Failed to Initialize

ATI Control Panel Failed to Initialize

On start up, I am getting an error message that says this:

ATI control panel failed to initialize because ATI drivers could not be found or are not working properly. ATI control panel will close now.

From what I have read, it looks like I just need to dowload the drivers from ATI technologies website - but I don't know which drivers to download. How do I figure this out?

Also - any info on what the heck the ATI control panel does would be helpful too!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Hello Hallie, just as a suggestion you should always provide as much detail as you can so that we can help you better. First of all i would like to know what is the make/model of your ATI card? What is your computer Model? Windows?

Solution may differ model to model. You should be having the display tweak settings under ATI control panel itself. Anyways, to find out the model number just click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > click on System Information. If you are using any AMD based laptops then you have an Integrated ATI Radeon X300 card.

I don't know what kind of ATI card I have - that is a good part of my problem! Is there some way that I can find out?

OK - so I have a ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M for ADM processors

When I go to the ATI website, there is no mention of this product in their drivers download section - or any mention at all of this product in fact. I was reading on another forum that omega drivers will support this card - but am nervous about downloading it. To download the driver it says that first I have to uninstall the ATI control panel completely. Will this cause any more harm to my system? I don't want to screw it up any further!

I took my computer to my local technician to have the problem corrected. He re-installed the control panel and the problem was over! He felt that when some new Windows component was updated, an incompatibility resulted in the erasure of the control panel. I had found the site on my computer where the control panel was located, but it would not operate, so I am assuming that my technician was correct.

I really appreciate you working with me here ...

I have a Compaq Presario V2424NR - so does that help in telling me what driver I need to download?

Well let me tell you that you dont have any separate Graphic Card on your system, it is the integrated chipset on your mobo. So what you need to is go to the AMD Download Page here , select your device version from the left pane, select your mobo, and in the last pane select Radeon Xpress 200M. You will get to the download page. Remember that the ATI catalyst control center requires .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed on your PC. So install it first from here.

Now uninstall the existing ATI software from add/remove programs, reboot the system to refresh and effect the changes. Now change your screen resolution to 640x480 resolution and install what you downloaded from ATI/AMD site.

I'm sooooo glad I came up on this! I too am having this problem, it has been driving me nuts! I can't even scroll down this page without it lagging like a wave, and this is with every page of anything. And on restart I get the message about ATI control panel failed to etc.....

I have a Compaq Presario 061, Windows XP. Now mind this, I don't know much about computers, so anything has to pretty much spelled out for me, sorry. I tried to see what kinda card I have, all I could find was geforce6200?? but under where the info about the card would be it just has VGA, and unkown?? I'm confused. I have looked for the drivers with no luck. And with the scrolling issue it takes a 30 minutes to look at one page.

Could someone please help me. I would appreciate it so much!!

Hey Guys! I was reading this thread because I am having a big issue with the same error and was hoping to get some input on the subject. One fine day my laptop was running smoothly then just all the sudden kept restarting itself. I ran the recovery disk 3 times and for whatever reason it would not load windows. I know it has windows on there because I have run it before in the past. Took it to the computer shop and they gave me a copy of Windows XP without any drivers. All I was supposed to have to do was download all the drivers and be good to go. So I did that from Sony.com. Now My display does not fit the screen. I have tried vigilanly to correct this problem but have been unsuccessful. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S260. I have downloaded and installed the ATI catalyst and drivers for this VAIO several times and have continuously gotten the ATI Control Panel Failed to initialize error as above. I have tried to open in safe mode and install but I get driver compatibilty errors and then I have to use the "Use last known good configuration" option just to open windows after I try the install.
    I am at a loss here and would really appreciate any help you could offer me.

P.S. In the device manager I have a Yellow question mark with an "!" beside video controller (VGA compatible)

Not sure about how to download and install motherboard drivers. I have done some research on the subject but have not been able to figure all that out. I am pretty sure that Sony is the manufacturer and the Intel Graphics chipset is installed. Andrew E. is saying not to install the control panel which is what this link goes to. I have tried to install this driver 7 or 8 times already and all I get are errors about compatibility issues.

Ok. I installed the catalyst. Here is the log report. Now what do I do from here? How do I fix it so that I can adjust my display to fit the monitor?

Catalyst Install Manager
    Installation Report
    06/10/10 06:34:18

Hardware information
    Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
    Device ID 0x5c61
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Class Code 0x030000
    Revision ID 0x01
    Subsystem ID 0x8195
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x104d
    Other hardware

Existing packages
    Packages for install
    ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
    Version of Item: 3.0.774.0
    Size: 20 Mbytes
    The Lord of the Rings FREE Trial Final Status: Success
    Version of Item: 1.00.0000
    Size: 1 Mbytes
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 RedistributableFinal Status: Success
    Version of Item: 9.0.30729.4148
    Size: 6 Mbytes

Re: ATI Control Panel Failed to Initialize

Tried these installs multiple times without any luck. Anymore suggestions guys? I wouldn't think I would be having this problem at all if my recovery disk would install windows. For whatever reason, irt won't. After running the recovery disk, it is like windows does'nt exist.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the reply tip.

Re: ATI Control Panel Failed to Initialize

I hope this thread isn't closed, cause i am having the same problem with this error message.

I have done everything i can to fix this problem, but had no success.

if you have any ideas on how I can get rid of this error i would appreciate it

ATI control panel failed to initialize because ATI drivers could not be found or are not working properly. ATI control panel will close now.
    I

I am getting it on my Sony Vaio Laptop and here is some more of info that might help

ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200 ATI 2009.2.11.2

thanks
    lavonda