Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

High CPU Usage but No High Program Usage other than Idle

Windows XP Support

Old 17-04-2007

High CPU Usage but No High Program Usage other than Idle

I have checked some posts about this issue but there are no solution or explanation. Can anyone help me out please. I am having 90% CPU usage, but no processes is doing it, only idle is showing that much usage. It seems to have occurred with NT and Windows XP computers and no one has given an explanation for this issue. I am running Windows XP and when I go to Task Manager > Performance Tab > then it shows CPU usage hovering aroung 90%. The same happens with perfmon. I have also got Norton Security running and have run all sorts of virus check but nothing was found. What is the problem then? Any ideas

Old 17-04-2007

Re: High CPU Usage but No High Program Usage other than Idle

The system idle of 90% is normal, it means that the cpu is not being used. But anything else would also indicate some process is causing the issue. If you want to find it more whether it is an issue or not then check the below link:

Try Process Explorer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/s.../bb896653.aspx
Old 17-04-2007

You can also try to disable that for a while and if it will let you, then you will see if the speed will improve or not. Many people have said that Nortona and McAfee are big resource hogs and really slow down the computer.
Old 17-04-2007

Thanks for the reply, I have installed Process Explorer now and hardware interrupts fluctuates between 50 and 60% of Cpu usage.
Old 17-04-2007

It looks to me that there are some bad drives or some hardware gone bad. You can physically try to remove or disable in the Bios everything thats not needed to boot the computer. And after that add the things back one at a time until the issue starts happening again.
Old 18-04-2007

Am also having a similar problem and isnt there anything that can tell me what hardware drivers or hardware are sending these interrupts? When I tested Process Explorer then it took me one step further than Task Manager. Isnt there something else that can take me one step closer and identify the source that interrupts it? Thanks.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,