Thread: 0x80080296 Validation/ActiveX Error

0x80080296 Validation/ActiveX Error

I need some urgent help from you all. I have three PCs at home and all running with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to validate all these systems from MS update since last two days but yet not succeeded. Whenever i try to validate from MS Update site, a pop up bar appears on my browser saying it needs the ActiveX control installed with the instructions what to do on the pop bar. When I click on ‘RUN’ button to run legitcheck.hta file on any of these PCs, I get an error message saying:

"Validation not completed: ActiveX Error"

Along with the said error it also use to have message saying WGA needs admin rights to run and that it can't communicate with the MS Servers, and gives this error number - 0x80080296. Any idea what could be causing this problem? I tried running spyware, antimalware and Antivirus, but dint found anything wrong. Hope anyone from you can help me out. Let me tell you that these all three PCs are MSDN copies activated with mulitple Universal subscription license.

Thanks for the help.

RE: 0x80080296 Validation/ActiveX Error

Seems like you need to re-register few DLL files like regwizc.dll and licdll.dll. Try doing the same. Just go to Start > RUN > Type the following and Hit Enter:

“regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll”

Once done, follow the same for “regsvr32.exelicdll.dll”. Hope it helps.

Thank you very much for the help Beckinsale. I tried your suggestions on two of these computers but still the problem persists. Hence i dont think i need to try it on 3rd as well. It is not Working. Any other solution please?

Okk, sorry for the confusion. I by mistakenly thought you meant the activation dialog. Anyways, just try out the following MS Article describing Administrators only error message when you attempt to use the Windows Update site: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316524. This may help you with all those ActiveX error on the Update site.

Thanks again for the help buddy but still no success. I properly followed everything mentioned on that KB including all six methods but none of the worked.

Now it is getting very annoying. Any Microsoft guy reading this?

Hello Rasena, as the problem appears in IE, we should start troubleshooting from right there. Just launch Internet Explorer, Click tools, Internet Options, general tab. Here under web browsing area, settings button, when open, view objects button. Here you may see "Update class" and "WWebControl class". I would first try to rightclick, and "Update" and if no help, I would delete them both, and go to the Windows Update site to get a new copy automatically. If no help, the Options, Security tab, Internet, "Custom Level" button may have some radio button checked to 'disable' activeX.

Reinstall IE7

Ok, if you have tried all steps before, check this:

- If you use IE7, go to add/remove programs --> and check if appears 'Windows Internet Explorer 7'.

- If not --> go to My pc --> local drive (c:) --> Windows folder --> be sure to have show hidden files and folders activate it ** --> go to IE7 folder --> Spuninst folder --> and execute Spuninst.exe.

- Now, download IE7 from microsoft official page and install it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b

Try again to validate or install the activex control, now will be able to do it.

**: To activate show hidden files --> on the window that you have opened click on Tools --> Folder options --> View label --> and click on 'Show hidden files and folders'.

Greetings,

Raúl T.
    Microsoft spanish technical support.