Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Account Unknown

Windows XP Support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-04-2007
Steelcity1981
 
Posts: n/a
Account Unknown

I notice when I click on properties on certain folders and then the security
tab, I see an Account Unknown SID. I looked in the user profiles under Local
Users and Groups to see if there was an Account Unknown profile to erase, but
there wasn't.

This Account Unknown may have poped up when I was running Vista on my
second hard drive and now that Vista is gone it seemed like it left an
Account Unknown user Where a Vista Account used to be on certain files and
folders.

Is there any way to get rid of this Account Unknown from these certain files?

Thanks in advance.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2007
Ronaldo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Account Unknown

Just select it and click on "Remove" in Security\Advanced Options, it should
appear in the main drive or parent folder which you took possession of from
the Vista installation, so remove it from that parent drive or folder's
Properties\Security\Advanced Options\Permissions\Select unknown SID and
click on "Remove", and to do it only once (from the parent object) mark
"Replace permission entries in all secondary objects with those entries
included here that are relative to secondary objects", to inherit the
security settings to all files and folders included in the drive or parent
folder.

-----------------------------------------------
"Steelcity1981" <Steelcity1981@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi? en el
mensaje news:5269398F-CEC6-4D3B-96D5-AE79D9360BAB@microsoft.com...
> I notice when I click on properties on certain folders and then the

security
> tab, I see an Account Unknown SID. I looked in the user profiles under

Local
> Users and Groups to see if there was an Account Unknown profile to erase,

but
> there wasn't.
>
> This Account Unknown may have poped up when I was running Vista on my
> second hard drive and now that Vista is gone it seemed like it left an
> Account Unknown user Where a Vista Account used to be on certain files and
> folders.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of this Account Unknown from these certain

files?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>




Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2007
Steelcity1981
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Account Unknown

I tried that and when I went back to reinherit it is still pops up. Is there
a tool or something that will erase this for you?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2007
Steelcity1981
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Account Unknown

All is good now, I fixed the Account Unknown. it longer shows up on any of
my folders that it once was inheriting under the folder property/security
tab section.

It was a simple fix really all I did was went into one of the folder that
was showing the Account Unknown in the property/security tab section, then
clicked advanced, then highlighted the Account Unknown and finally put my
mouse over the inheriting from part in which it showed a pop-up window with
the path of this Account Unknown which was C:\Documents And Settings\Admin.
So then I wen into C:\Documents And Settings\Admin folder, then went to the
property/security tab section of that folder, highlighted the Account
Unknown and click on Remove and clicked on Ok. From there on out the Account
Unknown was no longer in any of the the folder property/security tab section
that it used to be in.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2007
Ronaldo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Account Unknown

Congrats!...

------------------------
"Steelcity1981" <Steelcity1981@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi? en el
mensaje news:1ECB03D2-8A70-45D4-8B6A-CC78AFF94D97@microsoft.com...
> All is good now, I fixed the Account Unknown. it longer shows up on any of
> my folders that it once was inheriting under the folder property/security
> tab section.
>
> It was a simple fix really all I did was went into one of the folder that
> was showing the Account Unknown in the property/security tab section, then
> clicked advanced, then highlighted the Account Unknown and finally put my
> mouse over the inheriting from part in which it showed a pop-up window

with
> the path of this Account Unknown which was C:\Documents And

Settings\Admin.
> So then I wen into C:\Documents And Settings\Admin folder, then went to

the
> property/security tab section of that folder, highlighted the Account
> Unknown and click on Remove and clicked on Ok. From there on out the

Account
> Unknown was no longer in any of the the folder property/security tab

section
> that it used to be in.
>



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2007
Steelcity1981
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Account Unknown

Sorry for the mis-spelled words last night, It was late when I wrote it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2007
Ronaldo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Account Unknown

NP most of us do it sooner or later!
-----------------------------
"Steelcity1981" <Steelcity1981@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi? en el
mensaje news:77B00B11-8510-44F3-9909-DFFA06B2E372@microsoft.com...
> Sorry for the mis-spelled words last night, It was late when I wrote it.





Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Account Unknown"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to create account in steam, stuck at creating account PhanA Technology & Internet 4 05-09-2011 09:11 AM
Cannot delete account (Computer Admin type account) in Win XP bunalz Windows Security 2 15-08-2011 09:33 AM
Stuck on a guest account, cannot access windows 7 admin account LavaStones Windows Software 1 11-02-2011 10:49 PM
Windows 7: administrator account is turned into guest account Logipark Operating Systems 3 03-01-2011 05:54 PM
Hotmail account cannot send mail to NetZero account jade Technology & Internet 3 27-07-2009 08:16 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:41 AM.