Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How Do I Restore/Repair Missing/Corrupt System File?

Windows XP Support

Old 08-04-2007

How Do I Restore/Repair Missing/Corrupt System File?

When I turned on my pc today then it was starting up and I accidentally turned it off the power strip on the floor, shutting off the computer. Now if I try to start it up again then I am getting an error message that says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select ' r ' at the first screen to start repair." I tried this suggestion by using the CD Rom to start Windows setup and selecting 'r' but after that I am getting C:Windows> and nothing else? What should I do now?

Old 08-04-2007

Re: How Do I Restore/Repair Missing/Corrupt System File?

Have you tried to do the below:

sfc /scannow

Last edited by dr.nil : 04-01-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2007

Have you tried to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting, if not then follow the method given in this link - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307545

Last edited by dr.nil : 04-01-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2007

Thanks for the replies but after trying the method it didnt work for me.

Last edited by dr.nil : 04-01-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2007

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode and then try to run System Restore? You can also follow the below guide for "Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues"

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822705
Old 09-07-2011

I get the following error message: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select ' r ' at the first screen to start repair."

I tried the above suggestion by using the original Setup CD-ROM to start Windows Setup and selecting ' r ' but after that I see the following, c: windows>. I don't know how to proceed from here. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 10-07-2011

Hi john697,

Are you trying to use the Command Console within Windows Recovery Console? The Recovery Console gives you limited access to the NTFS file system, FAT, and FAT32 volumes. Recovery Console prevents the familiar Windows Graphical User Interface (GUI) from loading in order to repair and recover Windows functionality. More information can be found here.
Old 25-07-2011

I got the same error "...system files missing or corrupt" in my xp system due to a sudden power off.
Since I could not boot up to any safe mode, how to repair the system files if I attach the hard drive to another working pc? Which files are needed to be replaced/repaired?
Old 26-07-2011

Well am good in reinstalling any operating system but i dont have any idea about repairing systems or which files to repair. But anyways, i found a good article with step by step and with all info about repairing OS. Hope it will help you. :
How to repair Windows XP
How to Reinstall Windows XP without losing any data

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,