Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Netgear WG111v2 connection problems

Windows XP Support

Old 07-04-2007

Netgear WG111v2 connection problems

I am on a home network running a Netgear modem/router and a Linksys Wap. I have bought 2 new computers and also 2 x WG111v2 usb wireless network adaptors and I am running Windows XP SP2. If I am trying to install the software for the WG111v2, then windows welcome screen disappears and only gives me the option of user to logon. Although the pc recognises the wireless network, it has some issues connecting.

Old 07-04-2007

RE: Netgear WG111v2 connection problems

I think that you need to first check the possibility of radio interference, or perhaps some grounded object between the 2 wireless points. The fast that they do sometimes communicate tells that they atleast work. You can move the systems to an unobstructed location, and turn off other possible sources of radio interference.
Old 08-04-2007

RE: Netgear WG111v2 connection problems

Thanks for the reply, I have tried that now and moved 1 of the new pcs to within 2m of the linksys wap but it didnt change anything. Could it be an issue with the linksys device? I have checked many thread showing issues with a Linksys/netgear combination. Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2007

Try to follow the below steps and see if that works:
  1. First of all go to start/run, and type: services.msc
  2. After that look for the Netgear service, and stop it
  3. Now try to run the Zero Configuration
  4. Now again try to click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
  5. After that click Network Connections, right-click Wireless Connection, and then click Properties.
  6. Now you have to View the available options
Old 23-10-2008

I'm also having problems with my Netgear WG111v2 usb card. I've had it for over a month and haven't had any problems with it. Last Thursday, my laptop was in sleep mode and when I powered it back up, I don't know what I did but the usb card will only stay enabled or connected for about 5 second before it disables. It will keep repeating the enabled disabled pattern. I tried reinstalling the software but no luck. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix it?

It's not the USB hub because the same thing happens no matter where I plug it in. It was running fine for a month. It's very strange that it connects for 5 seconds, disconnects, connects, disconnects. My signal strength is excellent but there is no data transmitting.
Old 23-10-2008

I finally found how to fix the adapter's problem with WEP keys. It is such an easy fix.
  1. Reinstall the adapter, but when it gives you the option to control the adapter with netgear choose windows instead.
  2. Go to your router with another computer by typing in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
  3. Go to wireless options or something similar to that
  4. There should be an option that says "key type" or something. Instead of Open key, choose Shared key. Click save changes.
  5. connect to the internet with your other computer and type in your WEP key
Voila! You should now have a reliable internet connection.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,