Thread: Need to reset BIOS to original settings - without seeing it

Need to reset BIOS to original settings - without seeing it

I had a GeForce 440 which is not working now. But the bios is set to read that card for the display. So, after turning the computer on, the monitor stays blank but there is no check cable message. Can anyone tell me how to reset the bios settings to defaults so I can plug the monitor cable into the integrated intel video card and get some video feedback? Thanks.

Re: Need to reset BIOS to original settings - without seeing it

Well, you can try to clear the Cmos. There might be a jumper on the motherboard that can be set to clear the Cmos, you might beed your motherboard manual to identify which jumper exactly. It will then set the Cmos to default settings.

Re: Need to reset BIOS to original settings - without seeing it

Thanks for responding, I have removed that jumper adn created a floppy Bios disk and put it in usb floppy drive, but when I restarted I am still having that black screen. Do you have any other ideas?

Can you tell us what type of card you are replacing it with? But, I want to say that before you restart your bios, ensure the new card is searing down properly into the slot. You must be able to see the bios boot screen without having to reset your bios. After resetting your bios without knowing what the settings are, it might create a big problem later.

After I reset, I usually move the jumper off pins 1 and 2, put on pins 2 and 3 and no restart is necessary since the Cmos is powered by battery, then go back to pins 1 and 2. My cmos then gives a choice of default settings when I restart. You might need to change some setting in your bios when you get it back.

Just try to remove the dead card and then the system will automatically use the integrated one as necessary. Also have you tried to jumper the cmos reset on your mainboard or pull the battery out for a few hours.