Thread: Deleting .dll files

Deleting .dll files

Hi,

I was using Roxio easy media creator 9 since past few months on my Windows XP system but as I don’t need it anymore I want to delete it from my system. On my system Roxio Shared is located at the following location C:\Program Files\Common Files. Now while deleting the same I saw some .dll files as well over there which I know will not affect my system if I delete them manually. But when I try deleting the same, it gives me an error message saying:

"Cannot delete CPSCommonTools9.dll: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use".

I’m sure the file is not in any use. I checked the Task Manager as well, there is no process running related to Roxio. But still it is not allowing me to delete it. Can anybody please tell me how can I delete these dll files?

Thanks.

RE: Deleting .dll files

As the error also says that it is write-protected, You will first need to change its attributes by right clicking the file and then try to delete the same. If still it wont allow, do this by booting into Safe Mode. Even if safe mode didn't help try to take the ownership then simply follow the steps provided in this MS Article:How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421