Thread: Repair Microsoft TUN Miniport Adapter???

Repair Microsoft TUN Miniport Adapter???

I am running Windows XP with the latest update. As per the MS information, the TUN Miniport adapter is a Service Pack 2 feature. I found that in the Devce Manager that it is having a yellow exclamation mark next to it but in safe mode it does not? So, I tried to install the adapter so it will reinstall but it is locked in both normal mode and safe mode? Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Repair Microsoft TUN Miniport Adapter???

I think that this issue might be related to the Winsock catalog. You can try to do a simple fix for Winsock to check if it helped. The netsh command in SP2 can rebuild the Winsock catalog. Try to open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset catalog then press ENTER.

RE: Repair Microsoft TUN Miniport Adapter???

Thank you but that netsh winsock reset catalog and netsh interface ipv6uninstall didnt help. Some other guys told me to check in Services. But I cannot find one that is relevant. I have checked that TUNMP.SYS on this system is the latest version and it matches the version on my other machines.

HOW TO repair your Microsoft TUN Miniport Adapter

After trying many solutions, I used the add new hardware wizard and selected TUN adapter device with the yellow exclamation mark, went through the troubleshooting wizard and then got to the list of compatible devices and then installed a compatible TUN adapter and then this device started to work fine.

Re: Repair Microsoft TUN Miniport Adapter???

Today I achieved something I didn't even have on my mind when I started the day.
    I did a routine defrag & registry backup on one of my XP laptops;
    so when I found the tun miniport fix published by ZAZULA @ Tech Support Forums,
    I was ready to massively edit the registry. Unfortunately the fix was not a success.
    The two tun miniport entries with error code 10 simply changed names to WAN ... with error codes 10,
    so I restored the registry. Then I found this posting by Leroy, who claimed
    to have fixed the error code 10 message but could not uninstall the tun miniport.
    Leroy's posting gave me the idea to install a different driver on the tun miniport entries.
    I have/use USB link cable, which is also called USB miniport.
    I had no expectations but also had no other possible solutions.
    I ignored the warning not to install the driver, then ignored the warning that the driver was not digitally signed,
    then ignored the warning(s) that the devices were deactivated (code 22) or would not start (code 10).
    I then tried to uninstall the former tun miniport entry which was now called Hi-Speed USB ... and,
    instead of XP telling me the device could not be uninstalled because the device might be necessary for startup,
    XP UNISTALLED the entries! I've rebooted several times & used this method to uninstall/remove the tun miniports
    from all three of my XP laptops. The tun miniports have not mysteriously reappeared either!