Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

after installing internet explorer 7 most of shortcut icons switch around

Windows XP Support

Old 19-03-2007

after installing internet explorer 7 most of shortcut icons switch around

Recently installed Internet Explorer 7 for the first time on this XP system. Installation went fine, no problem, but once I launched the browser I saw some weird changes in the icons. My yahoo finance icon changed itself to Microsoft butterfly icon. Not just this, there are more than 20 icons that changed to some other icon.

In order to fix this, I did Windows Update but that didnt fix anything. I don’t understand what is the reason behind this weird behavior and how can this be fixed.

Old 17-04-2012

Re: after installing internet explorer 7 most of shortcut icons switch around

Actually what happens is when you install or uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7, you will notice that the icons that are associated with the current version of Internet Explorer are incorrect. For example, after you uninstall Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 7 icons are displayed for Internet Explorer shortcuts and for HTML files. This issue occurs if Microsoft Windows does not update the icon cache after you install or uninstall Internet Explorer 7.
Old 17-04-2012

If you want to solve this probem then modify a display setting to force Windows to update the icon cache. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. First of all right-click a blank area of the desktop, and then click Properties.
  2. After that in the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
  3. Next, in the Color quality list you have to select a color depth other than the current color depth. For example, if the current color depth setting is Highest (32-bit), click Medium (16-bit).
  4. After that when you are prompted to keep the new settings, click Apply, and then click Yes.
  5. Next again in the Color quality list just select the original color depth, click Apply, and then click Yes.
  6. Latsly you have to click OK to close the Display Properties dialog box.
Old 17-04-2012

The problem might be due to excessive browsing history or cookies stored on your computer. So what you can do is, just go to Tools/Internet Options/Browsing History/ and Press Delete. After that a "Delete Browsing History" dialog box appears, try to uncheck the Preserve Favorites website data box. Now you have to check only the Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History boxes. Now click on delete. Close any dialog boxes after the delete process is complete. Restart your internet explorer and check if the problem gets solved.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,