Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

windows.edb on XP Professional SP2

Windows XP Support

Old 19-03-2007

windows.edb on XP Professional SP2

I am running Windows XP with SP2 and if I am attempting to defrag the C: then I noticed that it fails because windows.edb is to big, 4gb? So, I was wondering if it is normal that this file size can get bigger and there will be no harm deleting it? Or else if I can even run any tool to defrag this file? Thanks.

Old 19-03-2007

Re: windows.edb on XP Professional SP2

I dont think that file is a Windows XP file but it could be a left over file from the previous OS like Windows 98 or Windows ME. So, therefore you can safely remove this file unless, it is related to a program other than Windows XP. Actually, the date on the file might tell you whether or not it pre-dates Windows XP?
Old 20-03-2007

The laptop that I have was preloaded from factory with XP OS, and this windows.edb file looks to be updated or used everyday when it is turned on. Since date file always had the current date but time should determine when it was turned on. I am thinking that this file could be related to Office 2007.
Old 26-09-2009

That file is the file created with Windows Desktop Search.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,