Thread: Uninstall AVG Free Edition anti virus

Uninstall AVG Free Edition anti virus

Hi, i am using Windows XP SP2 laptop. Couple of months ago i have had installed AVG Free edition on this laptop. Now due to some reasons i want to remove it from my system but whenever i go to uninstall it gives me an error message saying:

"Action failed for file avg7.Ing creating backup. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)%DESTINATION%="C:\ProgramFiles\Grisoft\AvgFree\avg7.Inginstall_backup",%SOURCE%=C:\ProgramFiles\ Grisoft\AVGFree\avg7.Ing"

I am just not able to remove AVG from my system. Actually i was having some problem with my firewall on aol. So I downloaded the security and safety system which included their anti virus Mcafee and aol said they noticed other anti virus and I needed to uninstall them. Hence i am trying to remove it and it is very necessary. So please help me to get rid of AVG.

Thank you.

Re: Uninstall AVG Free Edition anti virus

Recently AVG launched their updated version of free edition, AVG7.5. If you will download the same run the installer, you will get options to perform a repair installation...it will uninstall the old and install the new. Also they have a tool called avg uninstaller. You can download the same to remove existing AVG completely from the system.

Simply download the following tool and run: AVG Remover. This will remove AVG as well as its all traces from the system including registry entries.

Thank you very much for the help buddy. As you suggested i tried downloading the AVG v7.5 and guess what for 2 hrs it was downloaded and finally when i received an error message saying cannot download avg7.5 I. Getting annoying. Any other help please?

I dont know why you want to go with MacAfee over AVG. I will suggest you to be with AVG get rid of Mac afee program. Unfortunately AVG does leave odd files about after removal. Shut down after removal then boot again. Whenever you to remove any antivirus program, always clean the system using CCleaner. It will help you to remove most rubbish of programs,including stuff left in the registry that can cause problems.