Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

Windows XP Support

Old 12-03-2007

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

I am getting an error message that says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOW\system32\config\SYSTEM." I have tried following all the articles on microsoft but none works for it. I didnt have this problem for so many years now but all of a sudden it started. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

Old 12-03-2007

Re: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

If you have lost the files suddenly then it could be a problem of hard drive failing. Check the make and model of the hard drive and then download its diagnostics utility from the manufacturers website. After that this utility will check the health of the drive. Usually the downloadble file will allow you to create a bootable floppy or CD. Incase the drive is failing then you must replace it and copy all the important files you want to keep from the old drive as soon as possible and then do a repair install.
Old 13-03-2007

Re: windows could not start because the following file is missingor corrupt

Check the below articles to troubleshoot the issue that you are facing:

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307545

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822705

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: