Thread: "WMS IDLE Not Responding" when logging off or shutting down

"WMS IDLE Not Responding" when logging off or shutting down

I am having Windows XP Home edition pc with two users account on the same. Now here I had enabled "Use Fast User Switching" which looks to be working fine in start. But now I am having problems switching from one user to the
    other. I am not able to figure out why. Whenever here when I try to log off or shut down I am getting a WMS IDLE Not Responding error on the screen. I have to End Program every time and the only the system went back to normal. I had also turned off switching option but the issue still persists.

Hey thanks for posting the cure , Ive been PO by this for months you saved me a pain in the arse renistall. Thanks again for posting the solution. Oh By the way besides naturally speeding the shut down , my start up is about 10 sec faster to thanks again
    I just started having that problem with wms, right after I installed a new sony dvd writer. So I have the same question, how will removing nmbgmonitor affect the writting process? Any idea? Thanks Bil

Re: "WMS IDLE Not Responding" when logging off or shutting down

The upgrade patch here is not working. I am not able to install the same. There is some issue with Windows Installer service. The program has to be upgraded also due to which the error appear. Or the upgrade patch might be having some more problem with different version of any application installed on the pc. It is necessary that you must verify the program which you are trying to upgrade must exists on pc.

Do you have Norton/Symantec AV software installed? Thank you all for the great information that you posted. I suspected that the Nero Essentials 7 was the culprit. My problems did arise immediately after installing that program, provided with my new DVD burner. I'll take advantage of your wisdoms for any future problems.

Is Outlook running when you try to shutdown the computer? Look in the Task Manager's running processes to verify this. Outlook is notorious for that, it can keep on running even after you exit and close the application. I found that going to MSCONFIG and removing NMBgMonitor (which is a Nero Essentials component) from Startup, removed the WMS Idle failing to quit. More importantly removing that Nero file from startup, allowed Windows XP to shutdown ten times faster. I have removed Nero from my computer and it runs perfectly now. Perhaps only a corrupted file, who knows, but bye bye WMS Idle. Removing nmbgmonitor from startup does not affect any programs in six months of use including DVD/CD writing. It is a program that remained after I had uninstalled Nero Essentials. You are right! Also, right clicking the taskbar, selecting toolbars and unchecking Nero Search, should also help. If that doesn't work then your instructions should be followed, which is unchecking the Nero Scout feature, which is different than Nero Search I mentioned above. Ed.

I had the same problem and had Microsoft working on it to no real avail. To make a long story short I searched for WMS Idle and came up with this site and followed a thread when I saw the bgmonitor(?) and realised I had that on my machine I removed it and to quote the person with the problem "BYE BYE WMS IDLE". Now being a bit of a computer gimp I do not know what nero does but think it is something to do with my DVD writer. If I delete that what should/could I replace it with or don't I need it at all.

Really impressed with the help form this site - so much that I joined !
    My route to the solution was slightly different but near enough to follow the advice above. I went : Start / All Programs / Nero 7 Essentials / Nero Scout
    then Nero Scout Options Windows / Indexing / folder / Clear All / Apply / Uncheck Enable Nero Scout (not "Unable") / Apply / OK.
    I also had a couple of other programs showing "Not responding" and it seems to have cleared them as well - they were SMax4PNP which is something to do with the audio system, and later WOWEXEC which is to do with processing of 16-bit applications. All of this now seems to have been cleared. So thank you to TechArena, and as for the person who introduced Nero Scout options - resign !!!

The proper way to get rid of this issue, Click Start -> Programs -> Nero 7 -> Tools -> Nero Scout.
    On the window at the top left, Uncheck Enable Nero Scout.
    This will remove the NMBgmonitor from startup, and stop your computer from unneeded idle processing as Nero scans for pictures and media content.
    Simply unchecking the intigration options will NOT resolve the issue, you must disable Nero Scout.

WMS IDLE

This is for people who have NERO.

Here's what you do to solve this problem.

Click Start--> Programs --> Nero(v7, v7 essentials, v8 ) --> Tools --> Nero Scout.

This opens Nero Scout Options window.
    On the left hand column, click Indexing --> Folders.
    Then at the bottom click Clear All.
    Then click Apply.
    At the top left hand corner of the window uncheck the box where it says Unable Nero Scout.
    Then click Apply.
    Then click OK.

This will solve the WMS Idle not responding which appears everytime when shutting down.

Thanks for the answer. It worked like a charm. I did have to go into each user profile to disable it completely, but you are top notch in my book.

Hi,

I also found this to be cause by Nero InCD.

I was able to stop the error by using regedit.exe and deleting the Nero keys from:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

*and*

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

-Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by fyrye View Post
    The proper way to get rid of this issue, Click Start -> Programs -> Nero 7 -> Tools -> Nero Scout.
    On the window at the top left, Uncheck Enable Nero Scout.
    This will remove the NMBgmonitor from startup, and stop your computer from unneeded idle processing as Nero scans for pictures and media content.
    Simply unchecking the intigration options will NOT resolve the issue, you must disable Nero Scout.

WMS IDLE

This is for people who have NERO.

Here's what you do to solve this problem.

Click Start--> Programs --> Nero(v7, v7 essentials, v8 ) --> Tools --> Nero Scout.

This opens Nero Scout Options window.
    On the left hand column, click Indexing --> Folders.
    Then at the bottom click Clear All.
    Then click Apply.
    At the top left hand corner of the window uncheck the box where it says Unable Nero Scout.
    Then click Apply.
    Then click OK.

This will solve the WMS Idle not responding which appears everytime when shutting down.
    Wow, it works! Thank you, my friend :)

Having installed Nero 7, I experienced the same problem with "WMP Idle". However, I inadvertently failed to spot and therefore prevent an older version of Adobe (5) installing with the Nero 7 bundle. I decided to Delete the Adobe 5 program first (before removing Nero Scout as suggested) as I think that the Nero Scout would link to Adobe 5 rather than the later version of Adobe (X) installed on my computer. Following the deletion of Adobe 5 I re-booted the computer. Problem solved! Nero Scout remains (albeit has not been set up for use so far). The computer cleared down without a hitch.