Thread: xp fails at loading mup.sys

xp fails at loading mup.sys

I have a laptop that is running on Windows XP and I am not able to boot it. Even in safe mode it stops while loading the mup.sys file. I have tried using the recovery console and disbling mup. But now it stops at serial.sys. Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? Thanks.

Re: xp fails at loading mup.sys

I think that your pc is infected and you might spend days trying to track down the issue, probably hooking up the HD to another computer as slave, is the best way to go, you can then save any information and clean out the infection. You can also use HiJackThis to track down or check for possible infections.

RE: xp fails at loading mup.sys

Well, it can be caused by many things like for example, hardware, driver, software. Can you try to open the case and then remove the dust by compressed Air can and take out the PSI cards and reseat the memory. You should also be careful in this process to handle thing with care and before touching any thing.

Can you try to rescue the files by booting up with live CD like Knoppix or BartPE. Have you tried to start the Recovery Console or repair install with CD or run a chkdsk /r from a command prompt in recovery console?