Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

all programs empty

Windows XP Support

Old 01-03-2007

all programs empty

I am having several new machines on my network. All of them is having Windows XP Sp2 installed. Now that I had simply configured the login to my network through AD. Now the issue here is a bit different. When I login as administrator I can see All Programs. But when I try to login as users I can see empty start menu. I am simply not able to find why the problem appeared. I am here trying to figure out the issue. Is this somewhat associated with server policies.

Old 01-03-2007

Re: all programs empty

Looks like a configuration issue to me. I think in your system the environment variables are messed up due to which you are getting the error. I will advice you to check the following:
  • %SYSTEMROOT%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
  • Documents and Settings\%allusersprofile%\Start Menu
  • %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
  • %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents and Settings\ALLUSERS\Start Menu
  • %ALLUSERSPROFILE% is usually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
  • %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users
  • %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
Old 02-03-2007

Re: all programs empty

There are something that you can try. First use a good registry cleaner software. Run it. It looks like some kind of registry bug to me. And in which systems you are getting the issue. Is it common with every. I will simply advice you to run a system restore or windows repair setup that will be more than enough to fix the problem you are facing. It is simply quiet easy to fix the problem. Just test the same and check back.
Old 02-03-2007

I will advice you to check the server settings. There can be some kind of gpo causing the issue. The problem is really different. It looks some kind of internal restriction is causing the problem. Try to change the installation media that you are using. Use something else. There are ample of good windows installation disc which will simply help you in fixing the problem you are facing. You can perform a clean setup back again and see whether the issue is resolved or not.
Old 06-03-2007

I will also recommend you to checked all the Variables. The issue might be due to them. Also try to login with different user account and see what output you are getting. The problem lies with incorrect registry entries which can be resolved only if it is restored or fixed. A number of manual changes can fix the issue but for that you have to keep on making changes which is simply a bit annoying. Just try to use a different account and see what output you are getting.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: