Thread: Windows Firewall/ICS Service

Windows Firewall/ICS Service

I am using Windows XP SP2 on my computer. If I am trying to start the firewall in the Control Panel then it will not start. If I try to start the service manually then I will get an error message tht states the below:

"Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

I dont know what file it is not able to find and how to replace it? Can anyone please help. Thanks.

Can you check if the file ipnathlp.dll is there in the below folder:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\

If that file is missing then you will have to extract a new copy from source.

hi

i have the same problem and my window 32 folder have ipnathlp.dll file,

I, too, have this problem and have the above file. It started last night after Microsoft did an automatic update and now I have no internet access and cannot start the firewall/ics sharing service. I did a system restore to prior to the update and still cannot start the service due to "missing file." I would do a recovery console repair except I recently moved and cannot locate my XP disc. Help, please.

re: Windows Firewall/ICS Service

Even I am getting the same error that I have listed below:

Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

The file ipnathlp.dll is present.

Can you go to Start and then Run and then type - CMD /K SC QC SHAREDACCESS and then press enter. After that try to copy the output and post it along with your reply.

When I did this I received a C:\Windows and then C:\Documents and Settings. I proceded to also do the sfc /scannow and the computer displayed a message about some of the files are missing and have been replaced by "unrecognized versions" and needs the service pack 3 CD. The problem I have now is that I am fixing this computer for a friend and its a Compaq Mini netbook with no CD drive. is there a way I can work around this?

Re: Windows Firewall/ICS Service

Quote Originally Posted by sblanford View Post
    When I did this I received a C:\Windows and then C:\Documents and Settings. I proceded to also do the sfc /scannow and the computer displayed a message about some of the files are missing and have been replaced by "unrecognized versions" and needs the service pack 3 CD. The problem I have now is that I am fixing this computer for a friend and its a Compaq Mini netbook with no CD drive. is there a way I can work around this?
    You mean to say that the firewall is not starting in your friends Compaq Mini netbook? You can easily get a external cd/dvd drive and boot from the sp3 cd/dvd and simply copy the missing files in that netbook. Or else revert back to a time when everything was working fine with the help of system restore.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Alright. Thanks. I will probably have to go the external drive route. She tried to system restore it before she gave it to me, but even reverting to her previously working state wouldn't fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sblanford View Post
    Alright. Thanks. I will probably have to go the external drive route. She tried to system restore it before she gave it to me, but even reverting to her previously working state wouldn't fix the problem.
    Can you try to right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose Run as Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", type this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

It might take a couple minutes for the services to shut down. Run the last command again. You actually may have to run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    Can you try to right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose Run as Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", type this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

It might take a couple minutes for the services to shut down. Run the last command again. You actually may have to run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.
    All this returns to me is C:\Documents and Settings\(username)>

i am also having issues with the windows firewall/ics service not starting i have disabled reset restored and everything else i can think of... i need help dont know what to do i need the computer for school