Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Start>Help and Support not working

Windows XP Support

Old 28-02-2007

Start>Help and Support not working

After upgrading from Windows XP home to Pro I am getting different problems with applications. Out of those I have the problem of inability to access Help and Support either through Start or internal to some other windows. The Help issues show up 2 things, Start > Help and Support where there is a brief hour glass and then nothing. The other is from the inside other Windows. For instance, a right click on a desktop application shortcut > icon > profile > compatability. There is a more infor link near the bottom of the window. If that ones selected then I get an error that this program does not have an association. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Old 28-02-2007

RE: Start>Help and Support not working

Can you try to open a run command and then type in services.msc and then click ok. After that on the services control panel ensure the Help and Support service is started Automatically and close and then restart the computer and see if it works. If it is not working then open the Run command and type this %Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe and click ok and see if that launches Help and Support applet.
Old 28-02-2007

RE: Start>Help and Support not working

It seems to be like it was set to Manual, and after setting it to automatic and restarting the computer it didnt have any effect. There was no change and I just got a hourglass pointer than nothing. After reinstalling from XP CD and restarting still it didnt work. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 28-02-2007

You can also try to scan for malwares too by downloading some software like Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware Free Antivirus and Antispyware by Lavasoft. Check this first and then see if it works out or not.
Old 01-03-2007

After trying out AdAware it found some data mining IE cookies which are deleted now. Spybot Search and Destroy also found 100+ items but 10 were cookies, so deleted them. The 5 entries were registry changes all in Windows Security Center also allowed SB to take card of them as well.
Old 28-03-2007

Can you try to opne run command and type services.msc and ensure that its started to Automatic.
Remote Access Auto Connection
Remote Procedure Call
Terminal Services

After that you neeed to close and reregister these commands:

Open Run and type in:
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx click [OK]
regsvr32 Jscript click [OK]
regsvr32 itss click [OK]
regsvr32 shell32.dll click [OK]
Old 13-02-2009

Re: Start>Help and Support not working

Just wanted to say THANKS for posting the section that was <Courtesy of Ramesh>. I followed those steps and I now have my Help and Support Center up and running again.

I had the same problems listed here and nothing looked out of place until I saw that the help services were not running in the Task Manager but they were set to run automatically in the Registry.

Appreciate you taking the time to post these helps!!
Old 23-04-2011

Re: Start>Help and Support not working

Hi, Tried several things to get Help & Support to work but to no avail. I found this solution here and applied it and it worked very well.
Thanks very much for the help.
Cheers
Snoino

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: